Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg cramps last night - can I still workout? page

maba is offline Senior Member

I did 75 squats this weekend with 20lbs weight. And I've been having DOMS for the last 3 days, but nothing too painful. But last night, I had a severe cramp in my left calf muscle and this morning my calf muscles still feel a little sore. Googling revealed that, among other things, lactic acid build-up in the muscles can cause cramps. I'm trying to get my weight training 2 times a week. I was planning to do one tonight so I can get the next one in on Sunday. Do you think it's ok for me to go ahead with the workout?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

maba,

How's your overall energy? If it's good, I'd go for it. One thing that helps me, is to take a walk right after I get done with lifting, to make sure that there's plenty of blood going through those muscles as they cool down.

You rock, Girl!

Kuno, overall I feel good. I'm doing a 20 hr IF today (w/o coffee and milk this time) and so far, no headache. If my legs hurt a lot, I'll skip the squats and do an upper body workout. Will remember the walking tip. Thanks.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Maba, are you trying to lose weight?

Personally, if my muscles are really sore one day, I'll skip that workout since I can never WORK THEM as hard as I would on a fully recovered day. And why would you want to half-ass a workout?

Vick is offline Senior Member

Another cause of cramping is being low in Magnesium.

There are supplements available if it persists.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Totally. Magnesium might be the key here. I've been low on Magnseium my entire life and I get leg cramps out of nowhere every now and then even when I don't work out.

Helen Guest

Try rubbing in Magnseium Gel into your calves at night. Every since I started doing this I don't have leg cramps as often and if I do, they are not as painful.

Thanks all. Jess, yes I'm trying to lose BF, but I'm in no hurry. I ended up not working out last evening.

The pain is still persisting in my calves. It feels like my muscles are knotted and stiff, clearly not DOMS. I'm concerned because even if I've had cramps in the past, they were few and far in-between and lasted only a couple of seconds. Last night, I had a cramp/spasm in my abdomen, right below my rib-cage (very different from menstrual abdominal cramps). Could it be the diet? I mean, I used to eat tons of veggies before, all kinds. Now I eat only those with low carb and usually a small amount. I understand Mg deficiency can cause cramps but I've been eating lots of nuts too. My husband thinks it's a result of my "not eating well". I've also been IFing once or twice a week. I used to take pre-natals before going Primal but have stopped now. I just checked the bottle, it doesn't have Mg, so it's not like I suddenly stopped by Mg intake. Any advice? I would like this persistent muscle ache to go away.

Vick, CC, Helen, I'll try to get Mg supplements. But how much and in what form?

Vick is offline Senior Member

my wife uses Nature Made. It has D3, Calium, Magnesium and zinc. A company of U.S.A. 800-276-2878 or www.naturemade.com

Mark may have something too.

IF reduces your vitamin intake. Important to keep that in balance too.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks Vick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast