Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for cleaning grease/fat out of pans? page

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member

Tips for cleaning grease/fat out of pans?

Shop Now
    I have the darndest time getting bacon grease, butter or other fats out of my pans after I cook. Any tips on getting the grime out? "Eco-friendly" soap and a sponge doesn't quite cut it.
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I just fry up my next meal with the leftover fat--(we use a high-end non-Teflon non-stick and keep the heat low). I wouldn't dream of wasting that yummy fat!

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I find frying up some thinly sliced onions in the fat tends to soak it up well. You could also try eggplant as a good way not to waste fats.

That is to say: I agree with Dragonfly.
    When I want to get rid of oil that I think is not good for eating, I just scrape down my pan into the trash (I use cast iron). Since you're not supposed to wash cast iron with soap, I then wipe it down with a paper towel, scrub it under water with a scrub brush and then dry it by heating it on the stove until the water evaporates (it won't evaporate quickly enough in Houston's humidity).

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Assuming it's not cast iron, a scotchbrite pad or the equivalent, combined with soaking in soapy water will get rid of it 99% of the time. If neither of those work, I use table salt and water (enough to make a paste) and a scrubby pad and scrub the bejeezus out of it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Just grease and fat? Hot water...it softens the grease. No real need to scrub or soak. Just use as hot water as your tap affords.
    Last edited by carlh; 01-10-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I cook my bacon in the oven on a sheet pan, I line it with foil and make a 'boat' out of the foil. Then I can just toss the foil and grease together, or I can create a V and drain the foil into a jar for later. Most of the time my sheet pan stays 100% clean.

I use hot water usually to take off the main layer of grease from any pan, and then a natural dish soap and a non scratching scotchbrite sponge (blue one). I do find the natural soaps are a bit less effective to immediately cut grease, but as long as I rinse with a hot water I have no issues.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Cast-iron....I just leave it till the next meal and use it again, unless it's got a lot of stuff besides fat in it (I do tend to scrape it out really well when I serve food onto my plate, so it's usually pretty clear). If it DOES have a lot of stuff besides fat or if it's been more than a day since I used it, I'll give it a quick rinse under the tap and a gentle once over with a stainless steel scrubbing pad.

Other pans....just lots of hot water, soap, and (if necessary) elbow grease.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    agree with dragonfly...cook something with it. i find that if i have a pan with a lot of fat or something in it, and i want the fat out of the pan (so my cats don't get it all) i just turn on the heat and throw in some spinach. the heat softens the fat, the spinach soaks it up, and if you want it even cleaner, what till the pan cools to warm and just wipe it out with a towel

chipdogwa is offline Member
    baking soda works well.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    So does licking it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast