Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have some n00b questions. page

GenericUsername is offline Junior Member

I have some n00b questions.

Primal Fuel
    Aside from more carbs (fruits, etc) what are the major differences between "eating primal" and, say..., the Atkins diet?

If I'm using the PBF workout guidelines and eating a low carb/high fat/high protein diet (not a "primal diet")...am I breaking some unwritten rules that will prevent me from seeing results?

Is there an eating plan that I need to be made aware of?

I drink a couple cups of black coffee every morning. Is that a deal breaker?

Alcohol? How much, how often can I drink?

I'm finally over a muscle (adductor) tear....I think. Any supplements that I can take to help prevent that from happening again?

I guess...I really just need some help wrapping my mind around the nutrition side before I jump in w/ both feet or before I try to create a hybrid nutrition plan+PBF workouts.

tia

omen is offline Junior Member
    With atkins you can use whatever food you like to make up your allotted daily carbs. So if you're shooting for say 30 grams of carb per day you could do that with bread, beans, etc. All things banned on paleo/primal.

Quote Originally Posted by omen View Post
    With atkins you can use whatever food you like to make up your allotted daily carbs. So if you're shooting for say 30 grams of carb per day you could do that with bread, beans, etc. All things banned on paleo/primal.
    Good point.

I try to stay away from the breads and beans.

Typically I do:
    Breakfast: omelet (cheese/veg/unprocessed meat), coffee
    Lunch: baby spinach salad
    Snack: tuna w/ olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice
    Dinner: steak, broccoli

Mix a few low carb protein bars or shakes in there and plenty of water.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think Atkins as Dr Atkins intended it is remarkably similar to Primal nutrition. But Atkins became corrupted by people consuming fake food just because it had low carbs. Primal is a similar macronutrient breakdown, but focuses on exactly the kinds of foods it looks like you're already choosing to eat--plants and animals, minimally processed.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I think Atkins as Dr Atkins intended it is remarkably similar to Primal nutrition. But Atkins became corrupted by people consuming fake food just because it had low carbs. Primal is a similar macronutrient breakdown, but focuses on exactly the kinds of foods it looks like you're already choosing to eat--plants and animals, minimally processed.
    Word.
    I'm going to go with it...will blog and what not.

My wife refuses to "give up a food group." Any of you ladies have any advice re: an Alabama gal's stubbornness?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I would drop the low carb protein bars.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    I would drop the low carb protein bars.
    Alright. They are gross.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Aside from more carbs (fruits, etc) what are the major differences between "eating primal" and, say..., the Atkins diet?

If I'm using the PBF workout guidelines and eating a low carb/high fat/high protein diet (not a "primal diet")...am I breaking some unwritten rules that will prevent me from seeing results?

Is there an eating plan that I need to be made aware of?

I drink a couple cups of black coffee every morning. Is that a deal breaker?

Alcohol? How much, how often can I drink?

I'm finally over a muscle (adductor) tear....I think. Any supplements that I can take to help prevent that from happening again?

I guess...I really just need some help wrapping my mind around the nutrition side before I jump in w/ both feet or before I try to create a hybrid nutrition plan+PBF workouts.

tia
    Check this Primal 101
    The primal blueprint is a whole lifestyle. Coffee is fine, within reason. One or two drinks per day are fine if you can handle alcohol. I stick to non-grain ones like wine. A little fruit each day is good, e.g. berries. But go easy on fructose. Primal is a very flexible plan. You can make it work for you. Good luck.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    There are several yummy bar recipes out there if you prefer something quick:
    http://www.joyfulabode.com/2010/09/1...-granola-bars/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-energy-bar-redux/

Those are just two I know about right off; I'm sure there are more.

As for your wife, my husband made fun of it at first, but a pizza after a few weeks of grain-free living proved him wrong. He felt absolutely awful, & since then has been pretty awesome about it. If you can at least get her away from wheat & processed food, she might eventually make the full shift.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post

My wife refuses to "give up a food group." Any of you ladies have any advice re: an Alabama gal's stubbornness?
    What food group is she concerned about? Most "foods" the PB suggests you cut are not really food at all. But I think most will tell you, if she's committed to her grains & sugar, you can't change her; you just have to do your thing & be patient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast