Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Allergic to Exercise/Sprinting?!?!? page

Primalvore is offline Senior Member

Am I Allergic to Exercise/Sprinting?!?!?

Primal Fuel
    Did I get your attention ? Don't judge me - I complained in my title not to sound like a whiny bitch - I just want to get some eyeballs on this page!

To begin, let me point out that I have no issues with most exercises. I lift, do martial arts, ashtanga yoga, swim, ect. on a regular basis with no issues whatsoever.

Running, Sprinting, and Low-Level Prolonged Cardio are where my problems lie. Here's my issue: for "sprints" I usually do a HIIT session of jumping rope or kettlebell swings. I have a heart rate monitor so I know my HR gets up there and I know I definitely get a great workout. Today, however, I decided to do it the real primal way and do actual sprints, which I am just not a fan on. Not a good idea.

Ever since I was young and had to sprint/run in Elementary School I've had problems. My throat and chest seem to close up and it literally feels like I have a hundred lbs sitting on my chest. I feel like I'm having a heart attack. The pain continues on for about an hour afterwards. I also get this weird metallic taste in my mouth....it tastes just like blood. I actually thought that was normal until I mentioned it after the mile run in high school and everyone looked at me like I was insane.

Here's where I feel like I'm going to lose most of you - I actually do have an "exercise allergy". It's odd - it only happens when I jog or run, or sometimes when I hike or do something like high knees for more than a few minutes. I actually break out into hives in various places on my body. It usually happens on only one or two places, but it's completely random - it could be my calves, my thighs, my stomach, my lower back, my arms. The hives/rash is EXTREMELY itchy, to the point of being painful. I did a 5K with boyfriend and I almost didn't make it through it. There are two things I know:

• I know this isn't caused by my clothes rubbing against me, because I've gotten the rash/hives on places with loose clothes or no clothes at all. For example, I've gotten it on my stomach when I've been wearing a sports bra.
    • I KNOW this is an actual allergy, because if I take a Benadryl prior to jogging/hiking/any type of long distance cardio I don't get the rash/hives!

Sorry for the drawn-out post, but I'm dying to know if ANYONE out there experiencing any of these symptoms. The blood/metallic taste in mouth and excruciating chest pain when running/sprinting? Or the hives and painful itchiness when doing cardio? Or does anyone know what any of these symptoms mean? I feel like a crazy person sometimes!

Thanks everyone!

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Sounds emotional-try EFT. Similar to some phobia reactions I have see in my practice...

Really? Do you mean the tightness in the chest and the hives? That's very interesting that you say that. I started looking up EFT a couple years ago but could never get the right pattern down haha - thank you for bringing it up because I've definitely been interested in looking it up again. I'm shameless, but I've always said that if I'm going to break out into tapping fits in public I better be doing it right!

As far as this is concerned, I think it is physiological rather than psychological. Mostly based on the fact that if I take a benadryl beforehand I don't break out in a rash. But thank you!

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Yes, yes you are.

Next question.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I’m typically a highly hypocritical sprint advocate (meaning I’m always yelling at people for not actually sprinting, but don’t sprint often enough myself!) but in this case it might be just fine for you to do sprint-alternatives if actual sprinting causes this. A “it hurts when I do this” … “stop doing it then” type of scenario.

Have you tried sprints without going all out? Like, maybe it’s an issue of conditioning. It sounds much deeper than that, but maybe going slower would help, then overtime building up to all out sprints if the issues don’t persist.

I’d consult a doctor though, preferably one that deals with athletes regularly. A college/high school athletic trainer perhaps.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    1.) The metallic/blood taste in mouth especially and hard respiration, heart wanting to explode = All part of the process of getting in shape. I know the metallic/blood taste. I salivate like a cow and when i spit it stretches to the floor. Sometimes my teeth feel loose. It feels like you can't breath. Coughing after workouts. I also sweat. Normal. Keep working. You are not a unique snowflake in capable of working hard I assure you!

2.) re:hives no idea. Looks like you have a myriad of autoimmune mysteries by glancing at your profile. My advice would be to power through workouts. Hives might be uncomfortable but you should already be sweating so who cares. It would seem like some mental toughness could help get rid of the excuses to avoid exercising. You will build that by persevering discomfort.

3.) "I KNOW this is an actual allergy, because if I take a Benadryl prior to jogging/hiking/any type of long distance cardio I don't get the rash/hives!" So take Benadryl prior to exercising!

you definitely have auto-immune derangement going on. I'd restrict eggs from your diet and also dairy and nightshades. How's your acid/base balance? Any other things you are eating that aren't paleo?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    You aren't imagining it, you DO have an allergy and one that is recognized:

http://allergies.about.com/od/anaphylaxis/a/eia.htm

You should take this seriously and NOT power through exercise ignoring your symptoms.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalvore View Post
    Really? Do you mean the tightness in the chest and the hives? That's very interesting that you say that. I started looking up EFT a couple years ago but could never get the right pattern down haha - thank you for bringing it up because I've definitely been interested in looking it up again. I'm shameless, but I've always said that if I'm going to break out into tapping fits in public I better be doing it right!

As far as this is concerned, I think it is physiological rather than psychological. Mostly based on the fact that if I take a benadryl beforehand I don't break out in a rash. But thank you!
    You can "tap" using your imagination when you are in public, BTW!

Having cleared my life-long asthma with EFT (pre-Primal and pre-vitamin D supplementation) I know that many so-called physiological ailments have an emotional trauma at the root of them--I see this with my clients every day. Sure, I could prevent my exercised-induced asthma attacks from using my inhaler--but that doesn't necessarily mean that my asthma attacks were caused by a physiological imbalance.

And asthma is life-threatening--as is anaphylaxis, so I agree with lizch! Just because it may have an emotional cause, doesn't make it any less real.

Address the inflammation issues mentioned by TheFastCat. Make sure your vitamin D level is optimal. Then, if you still aren't getting any relief from your symptoms try EFT. Or you could try EFT first--it won't hurt!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-10-2011 at 08:04 AM.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    You aren't imagining it, you DO have an allergy and one that is recognized:

http://allergies.about.com/od/anaphylaxis/a/eia.htm

You should take this seriously and NOT power through exercise ignoring your symptoms.
    could be

"Exercise-induced anaphylaxis (EIA) is a rare disorder in which anaphylaxis occurs after physical activity.1 The symptoms may include pruritus, hives, flushing, wheezing, and GI symptoms including nausea, abdominal cramping, and diarrhea. If physical activity continues, patients may progress to more severe symptoms including angioedema, laryngeal edema, hypotension, and ultimately cardiovascular collapse. Cessation of physical activity usually results in immediate improvement of symptoms."

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/886641-overview

It looks like some bodies really were built to not do any physical activity and remain stagnant O_O

/sad

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I’m typically a highly hypocritical sprint advocate (meaning I’m always yelling at people for not actually sprinting, but don’t sprint often enough myself!) but in this case it might be just fine for you to do sprint-alternatives if actual sprinting causes this. A “it hurts when I do this” … “stop doing it then” type of scenario.

Have you tried sprints without going all out? Like, maybe it’s an issue of conditioning. It sounds much deeper than that, but maybe going slower would help, then overtime building up to all out sprints if the issues don’t persist.

I’d consult a doctor though, preferably one that deals with athletes regularly. A college/high school athletic trainer perhaps.
    Yea, I might try sprinting a couple more times or working my way up just to see if it gets any easier. I don't know if it's a conditioning issue because I'm very active/in good shape, it's just the fuggin sprints.

Funny you mention Athletic Trianers - I actually was one in HS and College! My head trainer never could figure out what was up with me though. Hmph.

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast