Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I Allergic to Exercise/Sprinting?!?!? page 2

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    1.) The metallic/blood taste in mouth especially and hard respiration, heart wanting to explode = All part of the process of getting in shape. I know the metallic/blood taste. I salivate like a cow and when i spit it stretches to the floor. Sometimes my teeth feel loose. It feels like you can't breath. Coughing after workouts. I also sweat. Normal. Keep working. You are not a unique snowflake in capable of working hard I assure you!

2.) re:hives no idea. Looks like you have a myriad of autoimmune mysteries by glancing at your profile. My advice would be to power through workouts. Hives might be uncomfortable but you should already be sweating so who cares. It would seem like some mental toughness could help get rid of the excuses to avoid exercising. You will build that by persevering discomfort.

3.) "I KNOW this is an actual allergy, because if I take a Benadryl prior to jogging/hiking/any type of long distance cardio I don't get the rash/hives!" So take Benadryl prior to exercising!

you definitely have auto-immune derangement going on. I'd restrict eggs from your diet and also dairy and nightshades. How's your acid/base balance? Any other things you are eating that aren't paleo?
    Yea my immune system is pretty wacked . I'm really not sure of my acid/base balance, but I do eat a lot of spinach/green vegetables and try and make my dinner and lunch as basic as I can. I am in the process of cutting back dairy and might just have to quit as you've mentioned. As far as eating things that aren't paleo, other than a couple small cheats (like maybe one small dessert a week) I'm solid. But I do eat a lot of eggs and spices. Dangit.

Thank you for the advice. I will DEFINITELY reformat my eating plan...even though cutting eggs will be difficult! I have books on alkalizing the body that I'll be pulling out later!

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    You aren't imagining it, you DO have an allergy and one that is recognized:

http://allergies.about.com/od/anaphylaxis/a/eia.htm

You should take this seriously and NOT power through exercise ignoring your symptoms.
    Thank you so much, for both the validation and the concern. I'm amending my previous response and saying that I will DEFINITELY stop the sprinting. Back to Kettlebell Swings for me!

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    You can "tap" using your imagination when you are in public, BTW!

Having cleared my life-long asthma with EFT (pre-Primal and pre-vitamin D supplementation) I know that many so-called physiological ailments have an emotional trauma at the root of them--I see this with my clients every day. Sure, I could prevent my exercised-induced asthma attacks from using my inhaler--but that doesn't necessarily mean that my asthma attacks were caused by a physiological imbalance.

And asthma is life-threatening--as is anaphylaxis, so I agree with lizch! Just because it may have an emotional cause, doesn't make it any less real.

Address the inflammation issues mentioned by TheFastCat. Make sure your vitamin D level is optimal. Then, if you still aren't getting any relief from your symptoms try EFT. Or you could try EFT first--it won't hurt!
    TAPPING IN THE MIND!??!?! You just made my day. I love the idea of EFT - thank you again . Looks like I'll be reading about EFT and Alkalizing the body today!

"Just because it may have an emotional cause, doesn't make it any less real." - I'm sorry, I didn't mean disrespect to emotional concerns! I definitely recognize the validity and seriousness of emotional stresses/disorders are just as serious as physiological ones!

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

Thanks to everyone for the excellent suggestions!

DarthFriendly - I would have responded to you too, but I wasn't sure what your smartass little comment was in regards to . The fact that I'm crazy? Tell me something I don't know.

~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry

Dragonfly is online now Senior Member
    "Just because it may have an emotional cause, doesn't make it any less real." - I'm sorry, I didn't mean disrespect to emotional concerns! I definitely recognize the validity and seriousness of emotional stresses/disorders are just as serious as physiological ones!
    No apology necessary! I think you may have misunderstood me. I just wanted to underline the importance of what Lizch was saying and to explain that I didn't think it was "all in your head"--even if the original cause was early emotional trauma--the physical reality of anaphylaxis or asthma is not to be dismissed.

When you read more about EFT and the so-called "physiological" diseases that people have healed using EFT, you will understand what I mean! I have worked with clients with chronic fatigue, cancer, allergies, pregnancy nausea and seen the symptoms completely disappear with EFT. And yes, I have had my chronic eczema go away once I supplemented with Vitamin D--and no amount of tapping would budge it! So I am definitely in the camp of clearing both the physiological (nutrition/stress/lack of sleep) causes of dis-ease and the emotional ones (early trauma, generally.)

Stallion is offline Senior Member
    Last winter, my wife went through the same type of issue. She actually went into anaphylaxis after a workout. If she hadn't used an epipen, she would have died. Seriously.

Here's the good news...she went to an allergist, and after months of journaling and testing, they detirmined that she has histimine intolerance. Stuff like tomatoes, red wine and chocolate would agravate her system, and then when she got her heart rate/body temp up, it was just to much. She got all of that under control, and is working out like a maniac again.

It's not just you. Get yourself a good allergist, and don't get discouraged.

Stallion is offline Senior Member
    "Just because it may have an emotional cause, doesn't make it any less real." - I'm sorry, I didn't mean disrespect to emotional concerns! I definitely recognize the validity and seriousness of emotional stresses/disorders are just as serious as physiological ones!"

One more thing, the ER nurses tried to tell my wife she was having a paniac attack, and that the problem was all in her head. Typical of CW to try and write off any conditions that the pharma reps have not told them exist. Never hesitate to advocate for better treatment options.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i would say that, too, if you are happy with what you are doing, then go ahead and continue with it.

i mean, astanga prepped me for long hikes. I was doing astanga and/or power vinyasa yoga about 4-5 classes a week (at 1.5 hrs each) plus my normal walking, and when we went to hike the upper part of the AT, i was kicking butt. the boys were all like "you need to get into shape like us!" which was mostly lifting and going on easy hikes near where we lived. and i was like "you need to do more yoga." and i was 1. not sore after 14 hours straight of hiking (seriously, i think we stopped for two breaks and i didn't eat on either of them-- just had water and hiked); and 2. i was out in front and not wheezing the whole time like they were. LOL

so, i think that you have appropriate substitutions -- plenty of activity, plenty of things that work for you -- so it doesn't have to be specific to this plan.

i'm not saying don't do anything about the allergy, but i am saying that even if you do, and you can do a 5k or sprints or whatever, you don't have to.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    For what it's worth, ashtanga yoga, martial arts, swimming, and lifting sounds like a pretty good exercise regime to me. I used to have exercise-induced asthma (which should really be called cardio-induced asthma, or something like that), and tae kwon do would get intense enough to trigger an attack once in a while. So you do get spurts of intense exercise, even though you're not actively outrunning a sabre-tooth tiger.

Also, have you tried sprinting in the pool? You get a flotation belt and mimic the action of running while upright in the pool in deep water. It's lesser-impact than actual running, so I used to use it to keep in running shape while recovering from an injury. And since just pool-running is phenomenally boring, I would add "sprinting" intervals to most of my pool workouts. It might be close enough to swimming to not cause you problems. And if you do feel poorly, you don't move very far very quickly, so you can stick close to the edge until you're sure you're not going to freak out and drown.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12