Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal/Paleo Meetups page

maddie427 is offline Senior Member

Primal/Paleo Meetups

Shop Now
    Quick couple of questions..

Does anyone currently attend a Paleo/Primal Meetup in their city?

If so, where?

If so, what types of activities does your group do when you get together?

I'm looking at putting one together, so any thoughts/feedback you have on the idea would be great appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    I went to the paleo meetup in NYC in September, which was a party for Robb Wolf's book release. It was fun to meet a bunch of healthy people in NYC. I haven't been to any of the other events, but I've seen that they've done meat-pooling, trips to farms, paleo eating seminars, barefoot runs, bar nights, etc.
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I am also looking to start a primal/paleo meetup group. I have wanted to for a while but have no idea what it would be like. I say its time to just start one at meetup.com! Why wait?!

Maddie - Are you planning on using meetup.com?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I kinda sorta have one that happens every year (2nd annual this year!) called Boarfest. Last year was great fun! This year we're raising money for Heifer International.

Windswept is offline Junior Member
    I just started an Atlanta meetup last week. I did use Meetup.com, because they were offering 1/2 off dues for 6 months.

There is a restaurant in our city that does a monthly paleo dinner, and that will be our first meetup next week. We are also planning potluck picnics when the weather is nice. I'm hoping to do farm trips/cowpooling as well, and maybe a reading group. There is a fair bit of overlap/competition with Crossfit social stuff, so I hope we can maintain momentum. So far we have 25 members, with a good mix of ages and genders.

I also plan to use the message boards to keep track of local sources for paleo food, and I hope that will add value for members.
    Join the Atlanta Primal/Paleo Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Atlanta-Paleo-Primal-Meetup/

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
    I just started an Atlanta meetup last week. I did use Meetup.com, because they were offering 1/2 off dues for 6 months.

There is a restaurant in our city that does a monthly paleo dinner, and that will be our first meetup next week. We are also planning potluck picnics when the weather is nice. I'm hoping to do farm trips/cowpooling as well, and maybe a reading group. There is a fair bit of overlap/competition with Crossfit social stuff, so I hope we can maintain momentum. So far we have 25 members, with a good mix of ages and genders.

I also plan to use the message boards to keep track of local sources for paleo food, and I hope that will add value for members.
    Thats awesome. You now have 28 members in just a few days?! I did not know there was a fee. Did you do the monthly, 3 month or 6 month? How are you getting soo many members to join your group so fast?

I am "worried" of creating one and then having no one join or just having 1 or 2 people join... especially since I have to pay.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Windswept is offline Junior Member
    I did 6 months, because they were offering me a rate of $6/month. I'm currently unemployed, so higher fees would have been a dealbreaker for me. Remember, once you get going, you can always ask people to chip in a buck or two if things are going well. But IMO, I'd make it casual and voluntary, and wait until people see value in the Meetup.

Re: getting so many members... well, I promoted the heck out of it online. I emailed/commented on every Atlanta/paleo blog I could find (I already subscribed to most of them) asking them to post about it and join if they wanted. I posted to appropriate Facebook pages (Atlanta/Paleo) as well. You can use the Meetup site to auto-create a PDF flyer, and I emailed every damn Crossfit gym in the Atlanta metro area (about 20?) and asked if they wouldn't mind posting the flyer (I attached it to the email). I also promoted it on PaleoHacks (although only on a thread already asking about Atlanta paleo folks) and here on MDA and Cavemanforum and paleodiet.com. I posted to Craigslist (also an automated feature Meetup provides). Finally, I made sure my Meetup was tagged with the max of 15 interests that were appropriate, because Meetup will automatically send a notice about your new group to anyone with one of those interests listed as their interest as well.

I think your concern about not getting enough people is a real one - it definitely happens, and the sunk costs are a problem. Are you from a major metro area?
    Join the Atlanta Primal/Paleo Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Atlanta-Paleo-Primal-Meetup/

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    I am also looking to start a primal/paleo meetup group. I have wanted to for a while but have no idea what it would be like. I say its time to just start one at meetup.com! Why wait?!

Maddie - Are you planning on using meetup.com?
    Hi Primal Toad-

Yes, my plan was to use Meetup.com. I'm in the Minneapolis area, and it seems that we have quite a few very active groups already.

Did you already have some ideas for events that you were going to do with your group?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I appreciate it!

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    Windswept - I signed up for the Atlanta group (Kimberlie). I'm sorry I can't make the dinner this week but really hope to catch the next one. I do think pot lucks (so I can try a bunch of recipes without having to buy and prep them all) as well as a resource page are great ideas. Even things like growing tips (for home gardens) and farmers market finds/reviews would be helpful. Do you have a facebook page for that group?

Ps- send me your paypal info in a pm and I'll pay for one month of the meetup.com costs.

Pps- I found you because meetup emailed me about the new group so your tags worked.
    Last edited by kimmie; 01-22-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast