Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kashi & Not Eating Enough page

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member

Kashi & Not Eating Enough

Primal Fuel
    So I've been a Kashi GoLean lover for a while now. It seems like such a wholesome cereal (low sugar, low cal, high fiber, high protein). I'm also new to the Primal lifestyle.

DO I HAVE TO GIVE UP MY BELOVED KASHI?

I will be so very sad if I do, but will bow to Grok if that is what He wishes.

Also, in the last few days since I've started cutting carbs back, I've found that I've had a really hard time eating enough calories in a day. I've been on a weight loss journey for over a year now, so I'm used to eating 1200-1500 cals a day, but since I've started trying to go Primal, I'm having a hard time meeting the base 1200. Help?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Here's a kick ass recipe that will make you gladly give up your kashi:

http://girlgoneprimal.blogspot.com/2...ola-final.html
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Kashi can remain...in your 20% Some people here spend their 20% routinely (i.e pizza every Friday, etc.) so maybe you'll want a bowl of Kashi every now and again as yours. However, it shouldn't be a part of your regular diet as it's so heavy in grains! I'll tell you, though, that roasted chopped nuts in milk is amazing, and might have the similar Kashi crunch.

For not getting enough calories, I'm betting you're not eating enough fat. That's a common problem for newcomers. However, to truly understand why you're going so low calorie, it would be best for you to share what you've been eating.

If fat is the problem, eat eggs with the yolks, bacon, butter, coconut oil, ground beef, chicken thighs, avocado, etc. and I'm sure your calories will be where you want them!

Edit: The nut cereal I was talking about is the exact one lil_earthmomma posted! Great minds

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Wink

BOW TO GROK! Kashi is sooo not Primal--and I imagine if you drop it completely for 2 weeks, you may not have a taste for it anymore...

...and of course you can use it in your 20%--but why?

The recipe you two provided does look tasty (especially ground up into a hot mash with some almond milk). Is it okay to buy egg whites from the store? My Grok is lazy, LOL.

Before I started going primal, my typical day looked something like this:

BREAKFAST:
    1 cup Kashi GoLean (I like it b/c it's high protein, high fiber, and low sugar)
    1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
    1 banana (or 1 serving diced peaches)

MORNING SNACK:
    1 fat free chobani greek yogurt

LUNCH:
    Healthy Choice meal or Atkins Advantage shake

AFTERNOON SNACK:
    Larabar (or protein bar like ThinkThin or Atkins), babybel lite cheese wedge, or other small treat

DINNER:
    lean protein (we tend to eat chicken most nights, with fish some nights, and hamburger or ground turkey on occasion), 1/2 cup rice or 1 med. potato, 1/2 cup - 1 cup vegetables
    We didn't have rice or potato every night, but many nights did look like that.

Also enjoyed evening snack on occasion of fruit or ice cream

BTW, how big of a difference is there between Primal & Paleo?

EDIT: Nevermind. Silly little new Grok went looking for the answer to that last one.
    Last edited by Dr. Bork Bork; 01-09-2011 at 07:54 PM.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I feel hungry in a "I'm going to inhale the next donut I see" kinda way just reading your pre-primal menu. Such a different kind of feeling than I get when reading about some delicious, fat-rich primal fare, which has me planning my next day's food.

What are your goals?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

I'd like to lose about 35 lbs (I've lost 76 so far on my pre-primal lifestyle), and get ready to start TTC this August. I am a SAHM to a crazy, insanely smart 2yo girl. I've been on a plateau since June. Fluctuating between the same 3 lbs is pretty darn obnoxious! I am accustomed to planning each and every meal (it's soothing to me. I think it's the sense of control it gives me) down to the calorie. Whether I stick to it or not is another story, but I don't typically deviate much. I also drink plenty of water (at least 1/2 my body weight in ounces daily, so about 90 oz)

This is going to be quite a switch, then. You'll need to add a lot more fat and cut a lot of carbs. I'd cut out all fruit for a while, toss anything with the words "lean" or "fat free" or "low fat". Add lots more green veggies. And yes, eventually ditch the Kashi. Oatmeal was my 20% through my first 6 weeks of primal, and I thought at first I could never give it up. But I switched abruptly to eggs/bacon/onions/tomatoes/spinach for breakfast and have never looked back. Can't imagine bland old oatmeal any more

It might freak you out for a while as you write it down and see the differences to what you have been eating. Hopefully you'll eventually get to the point where the richness of primal food will allow you to trust yourself to eat right without writing everything down.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Also wanted to note that I want to RUN in a marathon (right now I can maybe last 2 mins on pavement, and 5-10 on a treadmill), so I try to run 3 days a week (have a 5k coming up at the end of the month). The last few days I've been limiting myself to 50-100 carbs. Waiting for my Primal Blueprint book & Primal Blueprint Cookbook to arrive. I'm also T2 diabetic. My typical day prior to PM was about 150 carbs.

I've noticed that I don't have a whole lot of self control as far as food goes. We had a lot of food in the house over the holidays that I just PIGGED out on. If there's junk food around, I will inevitably eat it. So we try to keep only "good" food in the house.
    Last edited by Dr. Bork Bork; 01-09-2011 at 08:32 PM.

PrimalCon New York
    You'll almost certainly get more self-control when you eat primally.

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on your exercise regime once you read the fitness part of the book.

Good luck!
    Liz.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast