Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me out with "snacking." page

zoebird is offline Senior Member

help me out with "snacking."

Shop Now
    ok, here seems to be my trouble.

i eat my meal, and i'm full. so full, i'm usually stuffed. then, many hours go by, but not quite enough hours to get to dinner.

for example, i finished lunch (and i'm stuffed) around 1:30. i had a shower, got ready for work, hoofed it over here. my next meal will probably be around 8, based on when i get home from work and get the kid down (sometimes it is anywhere from 7:30 to 9:00 with him, and we strive to get him down by 8 so that i can eat between 8 and 8:30.

usually before i teach yoga class at 5:30, i have a piece of fruit and some nuts. it's not perfect, and i'm not really hungry for much more. I would prefer to have chunks of coconut or something, btw, but i find those hard to come by.

for me, the time between breakfast and lunch is generally no problem. the time between lunch and dinner is the issue. i need something transportable, easy to eat and digest (because i can't teach on something heavy), and then something that's not going to push back dinner too far.

Now, for my husband, he is eating two snacks during the day and then the three meals. Honestly, we both truly assert that we cannot eat more at our meals. I'm literally *stuffed* right now, and it's not comfortable. LOL but, i doubt i'll make it to 8/8:30.

so, what can we do? any ideas for primal snacks? we've mostly been doing fruit and nuts. in the past, it would be fruit, nuts, and a piece of cheese, and now that's getting subbed for chocolate (the extra dark stuff-- about two squares a day), and both of us are just feeling that it's not good. but just fruit and nuts isn't enough to sustain us long.

what to do?

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    How about hard boiled eggs? A couple of slices of cooked bacon?

i have eggs (and sometimes bacon) for breakfast. i would say i eat bacon about 3-4 times a week; and eggs every day. i'm not sure i want to do eggs for this.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Cheese is my go to for that situation. Is dairy really not working for you anymore?

the good cheese is too expensive to eat about 6 slices (or more) a day. i mean, to get a kg of the good cheese, it would cost us about $40, and that kg would be finished in 2 days or so between Ryan, Hawk, and myself. so if it's 12 slices, it costs $3.33 per slice. it's just too pricey.

if i buy the cheap cheese (which is still organic, but pasteurized, which is what gives me trouble), then it is obviously far less ($12 per kg), but i dn't feel great when i eat it. so, cheese is really just out.

i literally use it to add a small bit of flavor to something. eg, a tiny bit of really expensive cheese adds the added bit of cheese flavor!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you can find a raw dairy and do a trade? Oh, and why do you need to share it? Make it "Momma's" special cheese. Let them eat the cheaper stuff if it works for them. Differentiation in action, you know!

i'm not sure i can afford $21-ish a week in cheese, though. hmm.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I hear you on the cheese. It's really hard to make stuff "momma's special" whatever. I always feel guilty feeding my kid cheap stuff when I'm eating good cheese - and mine loooooves the good cheese. Now I'm off dairy for a bit it's more manageable - the round of good brie has lasted a week! - but still - good cheese costs a lot.

As far as snacks go - would beef jerky work? Or good-quality, dried pepperoni or something? Or you could just call it a daily fasting period? Is there any reason why your child has to go to bed so you can eat? Why don't you just eat with him a bit earlier? (Sorry if there's background here I don't know.) I guess what I'm asking is whether the snack is truly necessary.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Stop.

i work from 2-7, and i finish eating around 1:30. in order to get DS to bed "on time" (which is important for reasons that i won't go into here), i come home and put him to bed directly. when i didn't work until 7, i would eat with him. As it is, we do have two meals together as a family, and DH has a "snack" at the same time as DS, which is usually a bit of a meal.

while i have no problem with IF, i cannot teach yoga or work while in that hazy, hunger. i just get spacey and I don't do my job well, which means that -- if i am hungry, then i need something to eat.

there are days, btw, where i'm not hungry until dinner, so it doesn't matter. but on those days (which are more often than not) that i am hungry before yoga class, i do need something to eat. just looking for ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast