Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: peanuts/peanut butter? meat? questions... page

jaymie225 is offline Junior Member

peanuts/peanut butter? meat? questions...

Shop Now
    I am new to this way of eating, and I have some questions..I am not done with the book yet, but have been skimming throughout it and reading these threads..

I calculated how many calories, carbs, pro, fat a day I am to eat, and I am trying to lose weight...20-30 pounds...

The book says to avoid certain things, such as peanuts and peanut butter, and to eat organic foods, but can I still lose weight if I stay within the ranges for cal/CHO/FAT/PRO but eat from the "banned" food list? Such as peanut butter? Or some of the fruits it says not to eat? As long as I do it in moderation and stay within my limits?
    Also, if I eat meat from the grocery store, I realize it is not organic, and that if I could find/afford organic, to go that route, but if I DONT, will I still lose weight?

I am very good about staying within my limits for the grams of CHO/PRO/FAT so I am not worried about that, but I just bascially want to know if I'll still lose weight even if I dont follow the guidelines so strictly....?

Thank you!

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Just make those foods part of your 20%.
    And yes, you will still lose weight if you don't get organic.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Griff is offline Senior Member
    First, it's not about losing weight. It has to be about health first, weight afterwards. If you're only doing this to lose weight, and you can't imagine not eating things like peanut butter, then go do Atkins.

Peanuts are legumes. Legumes are not good for humans. Don't eat them.

If you want to lose weight, fruit should not even be on your list of things to eat until you've reached your goal weight, because it encourages fat gain.

As long as you get meat, don't worry too much about it being organic or not right now. If you can't afford grass-fed, and you eat supermarket meat, you're still doing better than 80% of the population (that's the "80" part of the 80/20 rule).
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Organic is encouraged for various reasons but if you can't get it or afford it, do conventional. Won't affect weight loss.

If you can do almond butter instead of peanut, it will be better for you. I like it just as well. Eating peanut butter won't particularly affect weight either.

Fruit is not banned. You just need to go easy on it.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the other posters that those choices (with the exception of fruit intake) are unlikely to change your weight loss progress.

But Primal is about improved health and wellbeing more than about weight loss. I find that an incredibly useful distinction, because on any one day, I can say to myself "Wow, that <forbidden food> looks so delicious...I don't care if I don't fit in those jeans" but I simply can't state with any credibility "I don't care if I get sicker/feel lousy/get a zit/spike my blood pressure". I've always had much better success sticking with lifestyle changes if my goal is more about improved health (lower blood pressure, better skin, for example) than losing weight.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    Relax, focus on eating vegetables and meat instead of non-foods like cakes, white pasta, etc.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Inflammation leads to ill-health. It interferes with weight loss. Legumes are inflammatory
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

jaymie225 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you everyone for your replies!
    You're right, this is more than just dieting/losing weight..I want to make this a lifestyle. I do want to lose weight in the process though..
    I know that I can avoid foods that I shouldnt eat simply by not having them in the house so there are no temptations, but I just wanted to understand how eating those foods impacts weight loss if you are staying within the limits that are suggested (50-100g of carbs).
    I want to be healthier, so that is motivation in itself...

Thank you for all the replies, and any other suggestions would be appreciated!

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I... but I simply can't state with any credibility "I don't care if I get sicker/feel lousy/get a zit/spike my blood pressure"...
    Hear, Hear!!! I've got people asking me "how long" will i eat "this way"... They look at it as so restrictive...

I have to ask: is it restrictive to get rid of daily pain you'd earlier attributed to "getting old"? Is it restrictive to be able to see better? Is it restrictive not to have to find a bathroom every 40 minutes because you had (HAD) "overactive bladder" which has now resolved itself since going primal??

Yes, I CAN eat this or that (enter forbidden food name here) but the way it will affect me later is simply not worth it.

I'm so thankful to be looking at this way of eating for HEALTH....

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I agree with the other posters that those choices (with the exception of fruit intake) are unlikely to change your weight loss progress.

But Primal is about improved health and wellbeing more than about weight loss. I find that an incredibly useful distinction, because on any one day, I can say to myself "Wow, that <forbidden food> looks so delicious...I don't care if I don't fit in those jeans" but I simply can't state with any credibility "I don't care if I get sicker/feel lousy/get a zit/spike my blood pressure". I've always had much better success sticking with lifestyle changes if my goal is more about improved health (lower blood pressure, better skin, for example) than losing weight.
    For me, one of the big motivators is not seeing a spike in my blood sugar. Another big one is not having a migraine headache or a return of my arthritis (which frankly is crippling). Another one is not having to run to the toilet every half hour because of the IBS.

And of course, for me, the biggest and most compelling motivator is not to die the way my father did - diabetic, with cancer in just about every system of his body, rotting away from the feet up from gangrene (which is what finally killed him over a three-week period). It's been nearly two years since he died, but I still remember the one view I got of his gangrenous feet in his deathroom. And now, I look at sugary food, or bread, and I see and smell his feet - and they lose whatever marginal appeal they might have had to begin with.

Those are the real motivators. Weight loss, next to that, is a far-and-away last on the list of reasons to do this.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast