Thread: Coconut Oil Fumes page

missusg2 is offline Junior Member

Coconut Oil Fumes

Primal Fuel
    I am the lone PB'er in my household and I am cooking with coconut oil a lot. Seems whenever I fry or saute (in cast iron) I get complaints about the smell. My husband even complained of becoming nauseated from it this morning. He had to go lie down!!

I don't smell anything offensive when I cook with CO, but I can smell the coconut-ness, if you know what I mean. But it's not a bad smell! Or is it? My husband likes coconut so I believe it's strange if the smell of coconuts is offensive to him.

Anyone else having this complaint?

Laura

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    That's weird... you aren't cooking it too hot are you? I LOVE the smell of coconut oil when I cook

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    no clue, honestly. i can't stand the smell of protein powders, and my husband used to basically live on that stuff. and he wouldn't wash his dishes, so it got crusted onto things. it was truly annoying.

but, i haven't had any issues with coconut oil. my only issue is when DH will use it instead of butter with eggs. i cannot, for the life of me, eat coconut-eggs. olive oil is fine, but not coconut oil. lol

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    I don't like the smell of cooking with coconut oil, I like the smell of the coconut normally but cooking with it, I find has a slightly funky smell. I still use it but not very often.

Paleobird Guest
    I love the smell of cooking with CO especially seafood. Can't understand what your hubby is on about.

canio6 Guest
    I've noticed if the oil gets too hot and burns it has an unpleasant odor. When used at the correct temps it smells like wonderful, wonderful coconut.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I've noticed if the oil gets too hot and burns it has an unpleasant odor. When used at the correct temps it smells like wonderful, wonderful coconut.
    Yes this. If virgin coconut oil gets too hot, it smells awful.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

missusg2 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow. Thanks for the responses. I really don't smell anything foul myself but perhaps the temp is high. I will pay more attention to that.