Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much fruit is too much? page

canes84 is offline Member

How much fruit is too much?

Hi all,

I'm new to the primal/paleo lifestyle and I'm wondering how much fruit I should be eating? My current goal is weight loss so I don't want to slow the process down by eating too much fruit. Thoughts?

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Optimal fruit intake for weight loss is probably 0. My random out of the blue assumption is that 1-2 small pieces of fruit won't stall your weightloss. A small melon, half a pineapple, that kind of thing is probably what I would call excessive for weightloss purposes. I personally ate one piece of fruit to break my fast when I was dieting, and that worked well for me. For some more scientific numbers, I believe the fructose limit is somewhere around 20-30g for how much it takes to replete liver glycogen, and where further consumption will become adipose tissue.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Zero, unless it is a few berries with cream. Too much sugar in most other fruit--we've bred modern fruit for high sugar content.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    If you're trying to lose weight, don't eat fruit at all.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

kimdowse is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    If you're trying to lose weight, don't eat fruit at all.
    +1

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    The only fruit I would eat would be berries, to be honest. Really, there's nothing in a fruit you couldn't get from a veggie, and vegetables don't have all that nasty fructose in them.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    You can eat fruit and lose weight as long as you keep your calories in check. I eat fruit (bananas and berries), nuts and nut butters, and consume dairy on a regular basis. I have lost over 20 pounds this year, from 175 to now around 150 pounds.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    You can eat fruit and lose weight as long as you keep your calories in check. I eat fruit (bananas and berries), nuts and nut butters, and consume dairy on a regular basis. I have lost over 20 pounds this year, from 175 to now around 150 pounds.
    John, this may be true for you, but not for everyone. Even with a calorie deficit, I needed to drop my carbs down to 20-25 g/day, to start losing my stubborn belly fat (age 47, female) Everyone's metabolism is so different!

katydid317 is offline Senior Member
    I think this must be really specific per person. I managed to lose weight while still eating lots of grapes and raspberries, but I think at that point it was because I'd been eating so much crap before. For me I felt like it was worth it, because I am an emotional eater and will binge in the evening. Eating a bunch of fruit still seems like a better option than eating tons of ice cream and candy, which is what I used to do.

I lost 20 lbs in the first 6 weeks of going paleo, but I've stalled a bit since then, but then I started slipping and was cheating a lot in December. I'm at the point now where I want to get serious about losing the rest of my spare tire, so I'm going to try cutting out fruit and being really strict paleo to see if that gets rid of the last 15 lbs I want to lose.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    John, this may be true for you, but not for everyone. Even with a calorie deficit, I needed to drop my carbs down to 20-25 g/day, to start losing my stubborn belly fat (age 47, female) Everyone's metabolism is so different!
    You are right, everyone is different. However, when I first stated PB, I kept my calories the same as when I was on a CW diet, but dropped the carbs to around 25-50g per day. After 6-8 weeks there was no change in my weight or fat loss. Once I dropped the calories, the weight came off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast