Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens to excess proteins and fats in ketosis? page

Digby is offline Senior Member

What happens to excess proteins and fats in ketosis?

Shop Now
    When in ketosis, if you eat more than your body can use, are the unused calories excreted in urine/feces as ketones or otherwise? I'm unclear about this, since some days I do a lot more than other days, so I would expect to use more or less given my activity.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    All of the information I have read states it is stored as fat if not burned properly

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Eades says so (or at least that you won't gain weight when eating too much, but staying low-carb). I don't agree ... maybe some of the superfluous calories are burned off, or even a big percentage of them in some genetically suited (naturally lean) people, but I don't think that anyone who is struggling with weight problems can rely on low-carb acting like a means to be able to gorge on meat and fat and stay lean.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Practically, I think it would be hard for most folks to over-eat consistently while in ketosis. I just don't get that hungry, KWIM? After dropping my carbs from 60-70 down to 20-25, I am easily able to maintain a calorie deficit without distress (took my body a couple of days to adjust, though!)

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    It will still be stored as fat as your body is adept at storing any excess form of calories as fat. The difference would be that since you normally operate in ketosis your body will be much better suited to utilize those fat stores whenever it needs to.

What I am trying to understand is this: Usually I eat about 1200 calories a day, but some days I walk four miles, and other days do much less activity. So it seems to me that if 1200 is enough to fuel my higher output days, then I probably don't use all those calories on the low activity days. In which case, are the unused calories excreted or stored?
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    1200 calories? How tiny are you?
    Remember that calories will go in and out of storage as needed when in ketosis, so you are likely drawing on your fat stores on those higher activity days.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    If it is protein, it will be converted to glucose and knock you out of ketosis. If it is veggies, the same thing will happen. Excess fat will be burned.

Sort of esoteric. Eating enough fat to be stored, while in ketosis would be a really unpleasant chore.
    Last edited by Lojasmo; 01-10-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Practically, I think it would be hard for most folks to over-eat consistently while in ketosis.
    This. In ketosis your diet will be mostly meat and meat fat and those two are almost impossible to overeat. Try it.

Tiny! ! Am far from that. I'm 5'8"; and still 30# overweight. I was always lean until the 80's when I came near to dying. I began putting on weight, and religiously followed my doctor's advice. I lived in what I now know to be starvation state for months, and was a rollercoaster from that time until I learned about low carb. I have lost over 25# since June. But this the fact is I can't eat ery much. I am hoping that as my body adapts to primal eating, that may change. I have lots of discipline, and I did the so-called "proper, healthy" diet, have exercised faithfully; and all that happened was my body has gotten extremely efficient. Now i'm in my 60s, and wish I had known all this long ago. My generation were guinea pigs for the food indusrty. Sorry, I'm venting--not at you dragonfly; but, tiny is what I should have been, if "good carbs, vegan, whole grains" actually did all that we were told. Tiny! I'm going to be smiling all day from the irony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast