Thread: Bizarre cravings page

Harry is offline Junior Member

Bizarre cravings

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I've been on a pretty tight primal programme for over three years now - strictly no grain, reduced to now nigh on zero dairy and lots of green leafy things, healthy fats, meat and eggs. So far so good.

Recently though I've been having immensely strange cravings [today I saw myself looking longingly at - of all things - Bran Flakes in the supermarket] for decidedly un-primal foodstuffs.

Is this natural? Is my body attempting to tell me to eat certain things? I know from my diet I get pretty much all my v&m's that I require...

I wouldn't mind, but I've never really liked Bran Flakes anyway...

H

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    What about it appealed to you? Was it the sweetness? The Crunch? Having something with milk on top?

What drew you to them may be the clue to your craving. There are some nice grain-free granola recipes around if you fancy a bowl of cereal and milk

Weirdly none of the above...

I'd literally just had scrambled eggs with bacon twenty minutes earlier so I wasn't hungry; but the cereal was just saying "eat me". I bought one of those mini individual serving boxes, got home, ate about three flakes and felt sated. Very strange. I'm wondering whether the stress I've been under at work recently could have contributed to this, but it seems odd I'd turn to things I never really enjoyed in the first place.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes the grass just seems greener on the other side, I think it's part of human nature to sometimes crave things that aren't good for us, or seem like a novelty.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member

Wink

The ads and packaging are designed to make you want it - someone paid good money for you to crave these things
    Last edited by Rud3d0g; 01-09-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

Nope, I'm a graphic designer and [like to think] impervious to the nice pretty boxes. I often crave very very primal stuff [macadamias, cheese, bacon, duh] but this was something more, something that gnawed. Still; a slight flirtation and it's gone again..until next time. :/

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I know from my diet I get pretty much all my v&m's that I require...
    Unlikely, given the largely depleted agricultural soils that are being farmed--even many of the organic farms.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if your body is telling you that it needs a little more primal carb and something became garbled in the transmission?
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl