Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Partner Support page

Tash is offline Junior Member

No Partner Support

Shop Now
    Hi

I'm new here & haven't had time to go through all of the Threads to see if this has been covered or not yet.

Has anyone here had experience of dealing with a partner that isn't supportive. Either of the Primal eating or of the Fitness training. (I'm into triathlons).

I lost 17kgs in the early part of 2008 & have kept it off & at times I'm still getting leaner (like when I gave up grains). My husband is use to the old body & I think he wants it back. He isn't primal & still eats bread, pasta, cereal etc. At times I have to cook 2 different meals.

While he isn't supportive of my training, he still lets me train. Anyway I figure I can't be the only one, is there someone else out there who has been through this.
    I'm not trying to convert him, just trying to cope.

Cheers
    Tash

peril is offline Senior Member
    Hi Tash,

I know where you're at. My wife thinks I've lost it and is forever telling me that I'm too thin, look drawn and wrinkled. She accepts that I'm firm on what I will and will not eat so tailors the meals she cooks accordingly. When I cook everyone finds the meals satisfying enough, though sometimes I'll cook some carbs for them. Doesn't mean she doesn't give me flak
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    While I'm not in a relationship and haven't gone through anything similar, I still want to comment.

Your husband doesn't like you being leaner and fitter (and I'm guessing better looking)? Sounds terribly wrong. From your description of him I assume he isn't the best he can be, and maybe he is afraid you're going to ditch him for someone "better" now you have improved your physique. Try talking about it.

Don't cook 2 meals, you are not his servant. If you're cooking tasty and healthy primal meals and he would rather eat processed crap, have him cook his own meals. I mean, if you can't agree on one meal plan, have each make his own (I know a lot of other members here have had success with that approach).

"While he isn't supportive of my training, he still lets me train." So he doesn't forbid you to not train? That's nice. What happened to gender equality -_-?
    Don't let your husband drag you down with him. If he is unwilling to change himself, don't worry about it and make sure he has life insurance so you can support yourself for the last 10 years after he dies. I apologize for my tone

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post

Don't cook 2 meals, you are not his servant. If you're cooking tasty and healthy primal meals and he would rather eat processed crap, have him cook his own meals. I mean, if you can't agree on one meal plan, have each make his own (I know a lot of other members here have had success with that approach).
    ^ This x1,000...there's another thread on this w/some really good advice, I'll see if I can find it.

Here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...operative-Mate

The very first reply has some great advice.
    Last edited by tradawg; 01-09-2011 at 05:40 AM.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    While I would not say that my wife is not sportive - she is a baker by trade an always seems to have cake/pie/cookies around - for the kids ;D
    They do not need the crap and it kinda sucks seeing sweets I cant eat everyday - but I figure I get to test my will daily now.
    We don't cook 2 meals - I fast on Saturday so that's "pasta" day for her
    Sun-Tues she cooks but the bread and potatoes are always on the side and she makes a veggie side too
    Wed-Fri I cook - she doesn't care that its all primal because she doesn't have to cook.

My wife has always has been supportive of my weight lifting though.
    I can't imagine either of us "allowing" each other to do anything - we have been together for 20+ years for a reason ;D
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    While I'm not in a relationship and haven't gone through anything similar, I still want to comment.

Your husband doesn't like you being leaner and fitter (and I'm guessing better looking)? Sounds terribly wrong. From your description of him I assume he isn't the best he can be, and maybe he is afraid you're going to ditch him for someone "better" now you have improved your physique. Try talking about it.

"While he isn't supportive of my training, he still lets me train." So he doesn't forbid you to not train? That's nice. What happened to gender equality -_-?
    Don't let your husband drag you down with him. If he is unwilling to change himself, don't worry about it and make sure he has life insurance so you can support yourself for the last 10 years after he dies. I apologize for my tone
    LOL. Completely on your wavelength, Pandadude.

Definitely second the idea of talking about it. I've been sabotaged while trying to get healthier on CW, and frankly it's a relationship killer. Tell him how you feel, ask him if he really wants the unhealthy, unfit you back, and give him the opportunity to work through what he's really asking you to do (feel worse forever). In my experience he may not have thought about it but could be simply reacting ( change == bad ) with little or no conscious processing. Help him process the implications, constructively, if you want to sustain the relationship.

At the same time, hold the line on the things you've found that work for you. You've kept a lot of weight off over a pretty long period - living proof that something is working. You're doing triathlons or training for them, again proof that how you're eating is healthy for you. So: Fix good meals, and if he wants a piece of toast or a bowl of rice, he can add that himself. If he wants a whole other meal, he can fix it or buy it at a fast food joint.

You can be really nice about it, and tell him you're really really sorry but you just can't ethically contribute to poor nutrition any more, or you can be non-confrontational and just not keep any of that bad food in the house (since you do all of the cooking, it sounds like, you probably do all of the shopping too).
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

What I do is cook Primally (meat and veggies), then I take out rolls. I don't put them on the plate, but in a bread basket, throw them on the table, and say, "There's bread if you want it."

P.S. It's ALWAYS bread! LOL

Pretty boring after a while. If I ever cheat, maybe I'll mix it up (rice or pasta). But, if I'm cooking, everyone's on their own! LOL

My husband has joined me to "support" me, but I can tell he isn't into it. *sigh*

We are here if you need us!!

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    I told my husband when we were switching, & although he initially made fun of it, all it took was a pizza after a few weeks of primal & we both felt how awful we felt. Cook up yummy stuff (bacon, steak, etc) & he'll get hooked.

As for the image issue, I do hear you. My husband loved me & was attracted to me 40 pounds ago when we met, & although he's supportive of my decisions, he does get concerned that I'll get obsessed with this & whittle away to a waif, which he's not particularly attracted to. I keep reminding him that I'm doing this for my health, & that hey, I'm Eastern European. There's no way I can look like Gisele when I'm built like Crystal Renn - & quite frankly, I don't want to!

I agree with the talking to him angle. What is it about this that really bothers him? Do you know?
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

kimdowse is offline Member
    My hubby does not eat this way (oddly enough he's the one who turned me onto MDA). I've been grain-free since 2007 and it works fine in the house. There always meat in fridge and tons of veggies for me, but there's also a loaf of Great Harvest bread, brown rice, crackers, cheese,etc here, too. We've made it worked...we each partake in the meat and then enjoy our own sides. He sometimes thinks I go overboard....mainlining coconut butter like it's crack, but I think he needs to drop the grains (and 45 pounds). Oh well, is what it is....I keep my comments to myself. I let him eat his way and he lets me eat my way.

Hmmm...not sure what to tell you on the training; mine is totally supportive. He's been too all my oly comps, races and tri's (years ago). As someone said above maybe he feels a bit threatened. Just a suggestion...are you training with other friends, or female friends of his male friends? that may help.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I initially got a lot of mileage out of quietly going about my primal business without going on and on about it. In those early days, I didn't even know if it was going to work for me so why try to convert my husband and daughter at that point? Furthermore, my husband has been through a lot of my wonderful new diets and new health initiatives so I didn't really want him thinking "Here she goes again!" I did leave primal books lying around and I started cooking/buying things that were different than our usual and more primal. I have to say, it's almost a cliche around here but I got a lot of mileage out of the uncured bacon I started buying. I also started making sweet potato fries (baked, with coconut oil) which he loves and is happy to have them instead of grains, even asks for them instead of white potatoes with his steak I also would occasionally read an amusing anecdote of Mark's to him.

I really didn't feel the "Cook your own meal, buster!" attittude was the best for our relationship or for my young daughter. So I make something that's primal (roast chicken for example) and make a side that's carby but they are familiar with (mashed potatoes) and then I make my sides. Hubby has started loving the big ass spinach salads that I'm making (boiled egg and real bacon have helped that along). In 6 or 7 weeks, I have both my husband and my daughter eating more primal without tears or recrimination. Last week I made chicken legs wrapped in bacon and used these in my daughter's lunch. We all loved them. Also the primal meatballs in the e-cookbook are good. Most men are going to respond to the meat part of primal especially if you've been limiting meat. It's ultimately up to them to give up the carbs.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast