Thread: What is so wrong about cheese? page

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

What is so wrong about cheese?

Primal Fuel
    I can't really figure out what the PB has against cheese (organic, chemical- and antibiotic-free, of course). I'm looking at a delicious brick of Wisconsin sharp cheddar:

Serv. size: 1oz
    Calories: 120 (90 from fat)
    Total fat: 10g
    Sat fat: 6g
    Cholesterol: 30mg
    Sodium: 190mg
    Carb: 1g
    Fiber: 0g
    Sugars: 0g
    Protein: 7g
    (and then various vitamins, and 20% DV calcium)

In fact, looking at this, it looks pretty great. You get a bit of protein AND saturated fat. So I don't see what the problem is. Anyone?

PS: I love cheese!

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    nothing is wrong with cheese, as long as it it real cheese...and you don't have any problems with dairy in general! Enjoy!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yup. like julie said.

there are some factors about cheese that might affect people negatively: 1. whether or not their are additives (chemicals, dyes, etc); 2. whether or not it is pasteurized (this affects me); and 3. whether or not they can break down the various sugars and proteins (lactose intolerant, issues with casein, etc).

the first is easy enough to avoid; the second a bit tougher, but raw dairy helps; and the third is a SOL scenario.

if one uses poorly made cheese, that's pasturized, and they are milk-intolerant, then eating cheese would lead to inflammation. but if the cheese is good, and one doesn't have a problem with it (due to 2 or 3), then it's fine.

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    casein and lactose are both issues. Also if your looking to lose weight dairy should be avoided.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Yep - lactose, casein, are not good for some (some say bad for all), dairy seems to be "uniquely fattening", and cheese is among the most acidifying foods, which I'm not really able to explain. I eat it though and I love it.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Yep - lactose, casein, are not good for some (some say bad for all), dairy seems to be "uniquely fattening", and cheese is among the most acidifying foods, which I'm not really able to explain. I eat it though and I love it.
    Cheese and cream aren't insulinogenic like milk is, so I doubt that it is "uniquely fattening" unless you eat too much of it.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Cheese and cream aren't insulinogenic like milk is, so I doubt that it is "uniquely fattening" unless you eat too much of it.
    Mmmmm might be an individual thing - I find certain cheeses give me a "sugar rush" - racing heart, queasy stomach, slight dizziness. Now, whether that is actually down to effects of sugar/insulin I don't know. Could be a casein reaction I suppose? But it's still "on the same page" so to speak.

batty is offline Senior Member