Thread: PaNu Posts Again! page

FairyRae is offline Senior Member

PaNu Posts Again!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    After a 6 month hiatus, Kurt Harris has 3 new blogposts up! I'd love to start a discussion of some of the newest posts, esp. the one by "Professor Gumby". http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...essay-001.html

VERY excited to see he's posting again!
    Last edited by FairyRae; 01-08-2011 at 07:11 PM.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    I'm also glad to see Dr. Harris blogging again. It looks like he is sharpening his focus on nutrition. The main thing I took away from reading the Professor Gumby article was that looking at modern hunter - gatherers was as sketchy as studying 100,000 year old bones and campsites.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Interesting read.

I find myself reacting just slightly defensively, though...which I know is not a valid response, particularly because in reacting this way I'm turning away from the academic issues on his blog. Maybe I'm not as motivated as some to eat/live "perfectly" with the idea of long life and little disease...maybe I'm more motivated by feeling and looking good this year rather than 20 years from now? So the mantra "eat like Grok" works for me at the moment, in a way that really burrowing into how Grok actually ate might not.

But it was the intro that got me...those "ridiculous looking shoes" were surprisingly motivating to me. At a time when I was ditching some of my favorite stuff (baked goods! milk chocolate! pasta!) having something fun that connected me more directly to the earth exhilarated me, so the lifestyle was fun not deprivation.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    I think one of the biggest things to take out of the professor gumby post is that we need to be just as critical of the level of evidence that supports our point of view as we are of the evidence against it. We criticize the quality of the evidence for the lipid hypothesis extensively but we do not do any good supporting or building on our point of view, if we aren't equally critical of the supportive evidence. If we start making observations of the hunter gatherer groups and stating it as fact, we are walking a narrow line that goes back to our "favorite" association does not mean causation argument.

That is why if someone asks me why I eat the way I do, I tell them about GCBC and Gary Taubes as it is properly grounded with a scientific explanation. The Primal Blueprint and The Paleo Solution, I think are better used for helping some learn how to implement the diet into their lives. Gary Taubes new book will make this all easier now.

primalpilgrim is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to OT, but the most ineffective Paleo\Primal suggestion I've ever tried in this wonderful N=1 journey ( N=3 if you add my wife and daughter) is going with minimalist footwear.

But in all other aspects, the results have been wonderful!

primalpilgrim is offline Senior Member
    Read PaNu's latest article and have to say that I thought precisely the same thing as Dr. John's comment in the post. The act of observing something affects the outcome.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalpilgrim View Post
    Read PaNu's latest article and have to say that I thought precisely the same thing as Dr. John's comment in the post. The act of observing something affects the outcome.
    This was something I found particularly interesting. That H-Gs may have been eating far less variety than we currently believe (based on anthropologists visiting and being offered everything, including special occassion/not every day foods...)

And Lizch, I think whatever gets someone into this stuff/excited about primal (like vibrams or wanting to be thinner and look healthier, whatever) is awesome. And I also *get* enjoying a special piece of equiptment/footwear etc... (I have an amazing yoga mat (which was quite expensive--I got it on sale which was lucky for me!) that I LOVE. Its awesome, thick and very easy to stick to (not slippery at all, which is important w/ a mat), and using it is a different experience compared to any other mat I've tried. Is it necessary for my yoga practice, or even make me a better yoga practitioner? Not at all. BUT its a luxury I enjoy and utilize. I'm sure some folks think of vibrams the same way. You could make huraches or just go barefoot a lot of the time, but vibrams work for them and they enjoy them...so why not indulge if you can?)

OTOH, I love the no BS, science focus of resources like PaNu (even if it comes off as harsh and opinionated, which it can). I'm very interested in primal as a path to lifelong health, and a way to avoid the 'diseases of civilization'. I don't think its necessary to look into every tiny detail for most of us to enjoy the benefits of primal living--just eating this way will most likely produce healing results. But I love reading and learning about the details, looking into the whys behind all this stuff, figuring out how I can tweak things to make it work even better *for me*. I almost always learn something from the PaNu blog and I'm excited he's posting again!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco