Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why it's called "Whole Paycheck..." page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

My mother and I go through a lot of blue cheese crumbles, and WP, I mean WF has 8 oz of good quality for $4 under the Whole Foods label. Fair enough $8/lb for good BC...... Then a few weeks ago they started mostly displaying "365 Creamery" brand. Looks the same, isn't organic, SIX ounces for the same price. Oddly, so far they haven't discontinued the better value line. Any day now......

Then there is Bulgarian Feta cheese. I got hooked on fetas when I worked in Glendale, CA and the numerous Armenian delis gave me lots of choices at fair prices. Moving to Denver, I discovered Economy Greek deli. (Economy here doesn't mean less expensive, it's the founder's name, Economos!) Bulgarian feta for $4/lb, French and Italian a bit more. Sometimes they would have the feta pieces that fall to the bottom of the giant cans for $2.50/lb. Lordy, I'm sure I've bought a ton while I lived there. The Bulgarian has lots of that sheep flavor, real stuff. French tends to be milder.

Oh, yeah, Whole Paycheck. A mere $9 a frickin' pound! All nicely put in a petro-plastic tub with some brine so you think you are getting a delicacy.

Trader Joes, where rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you? SOMEONE to compete with them here in Sarasota. Please!

Madame P is offline Junior Member

I agree that WF can be ridiculous. Personally though, I think Trader Joes can't compete with the quality. Back when I ate dairy, I found cheese to be like wine or chocolate: You get what you pay for. Good cheese is expensive.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I have mixed feelings about Whole Foods. There are some things, like a lot of their bulk items and most of the 365 Organics brand items, that are great prices. But then some of it is outrageous like you mentioned. I was just in Minneapolis visiting a friend, and they have what are called Co-op stores. They were like super local Whole Foods, sourcing as much as possible from local places, everything is organic (or free range if possible), and the two we stopped at were really nice (just new, fancy looking grocery stores). And they were CHEAPER than WF! I was really surprised. I really wish Cincinnati had something comparable, all we have is 1 WF, and some natural health-food stores that are really small Love the farmer's markets here though!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I usually make a few stops on shopping day... WF has good prices on a lot of the stuff we use but on some things... it's redicilious.

I shop at farmers markets and whole foods...

maba is offline Senior Member

OTB, yeah, the co-ops that Hannah talks about are great. See if you have one near you. And if you have memberships, which don't cost must you can avail discounts all round the year. And the membership, atleast in my coop, is a one-time payment unlike the yearly ones at Costco or Sam's, and it is refunded when you choose to no longer be a member. Some things can be just as expensive as WF but over all, I find it cheaper and the sheer variety of health-foods is like no other grocery store.

I don't want a co-op, most of our food is conventional and there is no way my parents are paying for different. I just want a store with fair prices.

I never had a problem with Trader Joe products, especially the cheeses. I remember the last time I was in CA ca. 2003 I spent $200 in TJ's and drove home. I got Stilton cheese for $8/lb instead of the $14 in Colorado. Not inferior in the slightest.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

You can go to TJ's website and request a store near you, maybe others have too and they'll put one in sometime! I just remembered that, when I lived in Flagstaff, AZ there were a lot of people who really wanted on there as well. I haven't lived there for a while so I don't know what happened, but it's worth a shot, right?

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

We don't have WF or TJ in my area so that's a big bummer. The only conventional store in my area that carries respectable amount of organic food is Woodman's but it is still a very limited selection. I found this great bulk stuff store that I never went into before because I thought it was mostly just bulk grain and beans and such. Boy, was I wrong. They have TONS of organic, healthy stuff that is simply packaged in little plastic bags or plastic containers and is much, much cheaper than what you can get it for at the store.

Free-range eggs from local farmers are, for example, $2.39 a dozen. You can't beat that.

As I understand it, TJ's will only have stores in states where liquor and food can be in the same facility. As an additional barrier in CO, until last summer you couldn't buy liquor on Sundays!

A few grocery stores here have liquor......next door, not inside.

That's great on those eggs, CC!

grandma is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Nope, not true. There are TJ's without liquor.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast