Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New, and boy do I have a headache! page 2

Kandy is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose & Paleo View Post
    hope you feel better.... would like to know how you're feeling in 1 weeks' time.

Cara
    http://primroseandpaleo.wordpress.com
    Well, it's been a few days and I've discovered I can keep the headache at bay by eating just one piece of fruit a day (a small apple, a tangerine, some strawberries) with my noon meal. I can't put it off til dinner or I will have that raging headache again. I think it was just too much too soon. Hopefully, my body will adjust soon so that I don't have to HAVE those higher glycemic carbs if I don't want to.

Thanks for everyone's input!
    Kandy

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good. I have kept some fruit in and found Ive naturally cut back now I am past the first 2 weeks. The headache only lasted a few days. When i felt really rotten I ate pineapple and melon. It didn't seem to stop me coming out the other end.

Is there a particualr reason you are aiming to cut out fruit?
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    One or more pieces of fruit a day is perfectly perfect within PB - have you read the book? There is nothing wrong with gradually easing in - I did, and I'm not sure I would have known how to eat properly just jumping in 100%. Don't focus on the carbs, focus on the non-processedness of your foods. That will automatically get you to a lower-carb place unless you're eating only mangoes or something.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I realize that there are two schools of thought on this issue, but I am just not convinced that putting your body through the stress of cold-turkey carb withdrawal is a great thing. Some people take longer than others to adapt to using fat for energy also. The beauty of primal is that there are enough foods like winter squashes and fruits that are primal and higher carb that you shouldn't have to suffer too much. I had a co-worker last year who, despite my urging to the contrary, went cold turkey on all carbs except non-starchy vegetables and told our other co-workers I was trying to kill her and went back to her previous diet in a few days. I doubt she'll ever try low carb again sadly because it would help her particular situation tremendously. Now 7 weeks in to primal, I am just now starting to feel like my body has figured out how to use all of this wonderful fat as energy. I lost my emotional attachment to carbs from the beginning but, physiologically, my body took a lot longer to get the message. Also, my gall bladder, which seemed to be in total shock from the fat, has adapted nicely and I no longer feel like I want to throw up daily. Time and patience are key.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Kandy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    Sounds good. I have kept some fruit in and found Ive naturally cut back now I am past the first 2 weeks. The headache only lasted a few days. When i felt really rotten I ate pineapple and melon. It didn't seem to stop me coming out the other end.

Is there a particualr reason you are aiming to cut out fruit?
    Horsewoman: Funny, I actually had to think long, & hard about your question. My initial response was that it's not so much that I want to cut out fruit (I love it), but that I'd like to be able to get through a day without fruit (should I so desire) without my world crumbling around me cause I can't cope w/ the headache. BUt I finally realized that I am simply doing PB "wrong". In my if some is good, then more is better mentality, I was going for super-low carb (under 50 g/day) which PB reserves for IF instead of the recommended range of 50-100g per day, which would allow me to eat that piece of fruit every day without feeling guilty. SO, that said, I am re-reading the book for the 3rd time and I'm going to stop reading blogs like hyperlipid (fructose is the enemy) and hopefully stop confusing myself.

Kandy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12