Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo / Primal aspects you find exaggerated page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Paleo / Primal aspects you find exaggerated

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What I mean is, most people do a whole set of blanket prohibitions, some of which seem to be a big deal (white sugar!) others of which, perhaps we are all being a bit paranoid - it's more of a case by case basis. My list of foods that I don't think deserve the bad rap they get:

1. White potatoes. Peeled, not green, properly cooked. My bet is that few people have issues with them unless they are really trying to lose weight. Much more nutritious than rice, and look every veggie has some anti-nutrients, it's just the way it goes.

2. Milk. Is organic whole milk really one of the #1 things to avoid - really, even if you're not lactose intolerant? I'm sure for some people it is, but should we really not be drinking any milk - it's cheap, relatively nutritious, unprocessed animal product. Other carnivores will drink cow's milk and cream any chance they get. We just get a lot more chances to.

I don't think this is a slippery slope, I'm just having issues with some of the more dogmatic Robb Wolf type approaches out there. You know?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    The wonders of bacon are grossly exaggerated.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    The wonders of bacon are grossly exaggerated.
    Yes. Even if it's mostly an inside-joke, bacon is way too salty and just not that interesting to me.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Fish oil, especially in the quantities recommended by Wolf. Reduction of Omega-6 intake should be the primary concern and oily fish can provide plenty of Omega-3. (Grow up if you don't like the taste)

This applies to supplementation in general. Too many push the easy path of supplementation instead of looking for foods rich in those nutrients. Eat your liver children!
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

DanC is offline Senior Member
    I was surprised when I first got here at what appears to me to be the "food as religion" for some of the members. They are dogmatic and ready to jump in at the slightest mention of any ingredient they disprove of! I am still pretty amazed at the "I eat this way so I no longer need to bathe or us shampoo"! But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    I was surprised when I first got here at what appears to me to be the "food as religion" for some of the members. They are dogmatic and ready to jump in at the slightest mention of any ingredient they disprove of! I am still pretty amazed at the "I eat this way so I no longer need to bathe or us shampoo"! But to each his own.
    I agree with you about the religious overtones. But I am a firm supporter of bathing without soap. It's just that nutrient deficiencies can make you stinky.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    hmm. you know, i can't say. but i have been thinking about this. mostly in regards to myself.

talking with DH today about:

1. way way way cutting back on dark chocolate. been a bit of a crutch for us as we transition. i'd like a different "crutch." not sure what that will be at this point. coconut cream and berries?

2. i'm already hardly using any dairy, no cheese in the house right now, and i have perhaps a tablespoon of yogurt every couple of days, if that. so, might just cut it all together, and it gives more to the boy and the man anyway.

3. looking to bring in more vegetables and more diversity with those vegetables.

---

for myself, potatoes are way out. metabolically, same as bread and send me into an addictive spiral. yesterday's meal was deeply telling to me. i had the white bread pizza (description of why in my journal), and that lead to sugary treats (way too many) and i literally felt compulsive. it was so strange. today, i'm in withdrawal symptoms. i think there's definitely an addictive element for me with potatoes, flour, sugar.

the chocolate doesn't seem to set me off (it is 78% or something), but i still want to back away.

yeah. i'm not sure at this point. i do feel that we need more vegetable diversity.

i'm currently having ostrich sausages plus tomatoes plus broccoli plus butter. finish with an orange if i'm still hungry at the end (usually not). lots of nice green tea and water.

i want more vegetables.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    For me it is the people that think you can't eat more than say 50g of carb and still lose weight. It is perfectly fine to eat lots and lots of veggies, including a moderate amount of starchy veggies. In reality most paleo folks (as in the 'big guns' like Mark and Cordain) advocate eating veggies, not the low carb mantra that seems to be the 'reality' in these forums.

DanC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I agree with you about the religious overtones. But I am a firm supporter of bathing without soap. It's just that nutrient deficiencies can make you stinky.
    If your happy and the people around you are happy I am happy! But people made soap long before they started eating processed foods, I'm just saying...

First came consumption of wheat and rice and all the nutrient-leeching effects of those grains, then came soap, then came processed food, yes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast