Thread: Butternut squash mash page

rach is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I threw this together for dinner tonight and it was pretty tasty, so I thought I'd share.

Ingredients:

1 butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise

1/2 onion, diced

4-5 mushrooms, diced

1/2 apple, cubed

lots of butter

oil of choice (i used bacon fat)

cinnamon

salt

pepper

balsamic vinegar

Fill a glass baking dish with about 1 inch of water and place squash halves in the dish cut side up. Slather a healthy coating of butter onto the surface of the squash, then sprinkle with cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Bake of 350 F for 40-50 mins or until tender.

While the squash is cooking, saute the onions and mushrooms in oil for a few minutes, then set aside. Then brown the apple cubes in oil and set aside.

For the last 5 minutes of cooking time, sprinkled the squash with some balsamic vinegar. After it has cooled some, scoop the squash into a mixing bowl and mix in another tablespoon or so of butter, the onion and mushroom mixture, and the apples. Enjoy!

I also cut up a few leftover sweet sausage links and added them to the mix as well.

John F Guest

I'm gonna try it, Thanks!

I have been digging all the squashes and been thinking to try Butternut next. This looks like a great way to go.

Did baked Acorn squash tonight the halves filled with pineapple. It was really good but now I wish I'd have thought about dusting with cinnamon.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

oh yum ..do you know that Trader Joes has the butternut squash in little pkts already peeled and diced up for us lazy people? hee hee

gonna try the recipe, sounds great xoxo Darlene

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I can put my first butternut squash out of the garden to a good use. Yippi!

I have a recipe where I use butternut squash kind of like mashed potatoes, and pile it with nice meat spaghetti sauce with tons of vegetables. Very good.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

ok I didn't really mash it just cooked the butternut squash in cubes fist in oven then sauteed the rest in butter and mixed it in with the sqaush and put the BV and spices and baked like 15 min more and it was DA BOMB soo good, MY kids even had seconds!!! this is def a keeper!! thank you so much xoxo Darlene

(I made pork chops in the side with mustard wine sauce)

xoxo Darlene

Geoff is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I like the sound of this a lot. Earlier this week I made Squash Tian from Richard Olney's "Simple French Food" (minus the 1 Tbsp. flour he called for). Now I'll have to give this one a whirl. Thanks for the great recipe!