Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Skin? page

eraserheadgirl Guest

Bad Skin?

Has anyone else had problems with bad breakouts since going primal? It's only been a few weeks since I started full PB, but shortly after starting my skin started breaking out. I haven't changed my skin care routine and it isn't "ladies time" so I don't think it's a hormonal thing related to menstruation. Could it be from the abrupt end to alcohol consumption? If anyone else encountered this problem, how long did your skin take to get back to normal?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    do a quick search on "candida die off" and look at the different symptoms that people experience.

my cradle-cap/dander went from tolerable to insane when i got off the grains, and now is back to tolerable and hopefully will be moving toward gone soon.

eraserheadgirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    do a quick search on "candida die off" and look at the different symptoms that people experience.

my cradle-cap/dander went from tolerable to insane when i got off the grains, and now is back to tolerable and hopefully will be moving toward gone soon.
    Thanks, looks like you hit the nail on the head with that advice!

you might want to try the OCM method (Oil Cleansing Method) for washing your face. I use jojoba oil, but many people create their own mix of castor oil, grapeseed oil, & coconut oil. These oils have a similar pH to our own skin, so none of the natural oils are stripped off. I was using natural products but I'm such a fan of this method now. My skin is less inflamed and feels really smooth.

Cara
    http://primroseandpaleo.wordpress.com

eraserheadgirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose & Paleo View Post
    you might want to try the OCM method (Oil Cleansing Method) for washing your face. I use jojoba oil, but many people create their own mix of castor oil, grapeseed oil, & coconut oil. These oils have a similar pH to our own skin, so none of the natural oils are stripped off. I was using natural products but I'm such a fan of this method now. My skin is less inflamed and feels really smooth.

Cara
    I have tried the oil cleansing multiple times, multiple ways, and it has done nothing but made me break-out very badly. I don't normally have bad skin, actually when I was vegan my skin cleared up, was flawless, and stayed that way for several years. I started eating meat again six months ago (and no gluten) and my skin stayed clear, but in the past two weeks since going strictly paleo my skin has broken out. I have a very simple skin-care routine that works for me, I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed their skin changing since ditching sugar, grains and alcohol? The candida die-off seems to be the likely culprit.

miss fluffypants is offline Junior Member
    After 30 years of severe acne, cutting carbs has cleared it up to an astonishing degree. I'm been moving towards 100% primal over the past month or so. Now, I find I get tiny cysts or hive-like breakouts around my jaw and neck if I eat any kind of wheat product. Case in point, one pita sandwich on Friday = hives on Saturday.

I also find the less I mess with it in terms of cleaning products, soaps and lotions, the clearer it is.

I'm suprised you had such bad results with OCM... might take a little longer on the Paleo/primal diet but I'm sure your skin will clear

Cara

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I've had horrible skin probs my whole life. I usually find that it gets worse before it gets better. I've had it get better and worse several times during my 6 week primal experience. I'm trying to stay the course and see what happens. I ate one shortbread cookie during the month of Dec. That was the only wheat I had and I had a really weird breakout of 3 very stubborn zits across the bridge of my nose. When I've done low carb in the past I always had major skin improvement while I was off of most grains and then saw inflammation when I started back. I'm uncertain of the role that dairy plays. I will probably try to get off totally soon just to see what it does for my skin and autoimmune stuff. I may try raw dairy before that though because I do like my yogurt, cheese, and butter

Things that do help me: a zinc supplement (50 mg/daily), green tea, & apple cider vinegar (inside and out). I have also had some success with VCO as a moisturizer. I'm also trying out oil cleansing.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

eraserheadgirl Guest
    i love me some dairy too, but cut it out awhile ago and every time I add it back, it does make me break out. Maybe I should look into some raw dairy. I think it maybe has something to do with the hormones in dairy that cause breakouts? My dermatologist told me in high school to stay away from dairy, which I refused to do and had terrible breakouts, until I went vegan in my mid-twenties. Let me know how the raw dairy does for you.

eraserheadgirl Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose & Paleo View Post
    I'm suprised you had such bad results with OCM... might take a little longer on the Paleo/primal diet but I'm sure your skin will clear

Cara
    Yes, it is a shame that the ocm has never worked for me, since I've heard it does such wonderful things for a lot of people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast