Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Really long bike rides - how to sustain energy levels page 4

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    Right. I'm off on a 1000 mile bike ride, starting tomorrow, about 120 miles / day for 9 days. Will try and stay low carb (ish) and let you know how it goes!
    That sounds like heaven to me! I've heard it's the 3rd and 4th day that are killer. So, be careful. Hope you have Bag Balm with you.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

mikeyt is offline Senior Member
    am back!

1,000 miles done, constant headwind even up to 30mph on one day, rain every day, lots of climbing (9,000 ft on the worst day - the last one!) but I loved it.

I ate pretty much whatever I could get my hands on... I avoided energy gels and drinks, stuck to water and trail mix, but there was plenty of bread, lots of chocolate and sugary stuff during the day, and also potatoes and sweet puddings in the evenings. But I was on the bike for up to 8 hours a day, so needed the calories. The only 'bad' day I had was the one after I didnt eat enough the night before or that morning and i really struggled until I had a large lunch.

the actual riding was fantastic, the guy i was riding with is a lot less experienced than me, so I didnt push the pace and my heart rate was well below 75% of max pretty much all ride (apart from the steepest hills), I could probably have gone a bit quicker if I'd really pushed it, but it meant I enjoyed it much more because I was with a friend.

Britain is a beautiful country, and a bike is a great way to see it!

mrsean1999 is offline Junior Member
    Have you tried dried sausages or beef jerkey? There is a butcher shop in my neighborhood that sells landjager sausages which I love on bike rides. You should be able to get them if you look around.

Are you doing Paris-Brest?

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Artisana Organic Foods New Products

I'll be using these during my first marathon in July. I'm convinced it can be done primally! Good luck to ya!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

mikeyt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsean1999 View Post
    Have you tried dried sausages or beef jerkey? There is a butcher shop in my neighborhood that sells landjager sausages which I love on bike rides. You should be able to get them if you look around.

Are you doing Paris-Brest?
    no, not up to PBP yet. Perhaps try a 600k next year or the year after then aim for PBP in 4 years time.

I had quite a lot of salami and jerky on the ride, was awesome fuel!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234