Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really long bike rides - how to sustain energy levels page 2

Boston biker is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Mr. Far,
    Port Jeff does have some great hills now that I think about it, I've just never ridden them, so it didn't occur to me! Glad to hear you grew up with some hills - I grew up on LI and so hills are my nemesis. The closest thing I had to a hill on my rides as a kid was a highway overpass!!!

I forgot to mention my ace, which Catherine already mentioned - Clif Shot Blocks WITH caffeine (I like the black cherry) Play around with those, they're amazing. Also, I forgot to mention that I find most larabars completely gross. I only like the apple and cherry pie varieties. Make sure you try them at home before you bring them on a 50 mile ride as your only fuel (it's a tough one to learn the hard way...)

Mr Far is offline Junior Member
    Boston biker,

I just bought a couple of Larabars from Whole Foods the other night. I tried one last night. Sure not going to forget them any time soon!! Cliff Shots next but with our recent dumping of snow, may have to wait until it melts before I get outside again.

Highway overpasses were my favourite when I lived in Babylon. If it wasn't for the traffic on Montauk Highway, cycling down there would have been quite sedentary.

Will Murphy is offline Junior Member
    I like Perpetuem as my main fuel source for long races. I have found that I do best with the unflavored version, but that's just me. I also like Hammer's older product, Sustained Energy. I like a little something solid. I want something I find reasonably palatable even when I am hot and tired. Variety helps. Remember that a lot of your energy for a long effort like that will be coming from burning fat -- don't try to take in as many calories as you are putting out, or you are likely to get stomach problems. Have fun in the brevets!

jostle is offline Senior Member
    Wow, those are some long rides. I've never really done anything over 150mi at one go, but the Paris ride looks awesome. I would say go with your one water ans one sports drink bottle combo, that's the same thing I do for long rides. Usually, i dilute the sports drink bottle 50/50 with water or else the sports drink stuff upsets my stomach.
    I see you tried some Lara Bars, but not sure which flavors. If you haven't tried it yet the Cashew Cookie flavor is a really good choice for rides. It's just cashews and dates, so that's primal to me. I think Amazon usually has it for less than a dollar a bar if you order the 16 pack case.
    Also, you could make your own with a food processor. I usually throw in a couple cups of nuts,(almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecan), some sort of dried fruit (dates, mission figs, cranberries), and some coconut oil for a smooth consistency.

rockcycle is offline Junior Member
    Mr Far- how is the training going? have you decided ona fueling strategy?

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Check out Mark's recipe for primal energy bars:
    Primal Energy Bar Redux: Making a Better Bar | Mark's Daily Apple
    Going to try making these for myself soon

Reacher is offline Member
    I play hockey every other day and since going primal a couple of months ago I've hit the wall a few times while playing. Actually just in the warmups I hit the wall once. So I tried adding carbs the day of playing, in the morning to "carb up" a bit and it seems to work pretty well but still I can feel a decrease in energy later on in the game.

Before going primal I used to eat mostly carbs, so now I need to manage them for optimal performance only.

With these drinks and powders and bars what is your routine for before races. Or are these just enhancers for during long endurance.

Also how long does it take an ingested drink or bar to become usable fuel?

Thanks.

mikeyt is offline Senior Member
    several friends have done PBP, (not me - yet) and all have got sick of energy gels after a day or so. Can you ride on 'normal' food only, with carbs to keep the fuel levels up and save the caffeinated gels for 3am when you get the dozies?

the other gross generalisation I remember them saying was that a lot of state-side riders struggled with the rain because they werent used to it. PBP '07 was pretty nasty, so hopefully you wont have that problem! There's a great cycling forum with lots of PBP discussion here: Paris-Brest-Paris 2011

rockcycle is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I play hockey every other day and since going primal a couple of months ago I've hit the wall a few times while playing. Actually just in the warmups I hit the wall once. So I tried adding carbs the day of playing, in the morning to "carb up" a bit and it seems to work pretty well but still I can feel a decrease in energy later on in the game.

Before going primal I used to eat mostly carbs, so now I need to manage them for optimal performance only.

With these drinks and powders and bars what is your routine for before races. Or are these just enhancers for during long endurance.

Also how long does it take an ingested drink or bar to become usable fuel?

Thanks.
    i usually do my long endurance trainig first thing in the morning and i've found that, before i start my ride or run, less is more for me. if im training longer than two hours i take some whey protein and maybe a banana about a half hour to 45 minutes before starting out, which is usually when im right out of bed. i start taking perpetuem about a half hour or 45 minutes in and then about every half hour during the training session. i use a little more than half the recommended serving amount per hour, based on trial and error. i usually train long twice a week. one time a took a power bar (or similar) about 3 hours in to a long ride and the workout was over very quickly. solids sit in my gut like a rock at that point which is why is doesnt work for me. my body doesnt seem to want to spend the energy digesting anything solid like that. for training under an hour, i use nothing. for 1-2 hour range, a little energy drink or gel does the trick. i stick to hammer products becaise they work for me, but they are grain based. i avoid grains when not training.

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlobster View Post
    Check out Mark's recipe for primal energy bars:
    Primal Energy Bar Redux: Making a Better Bar | Mark's Daily Apple
    Going to try making these for myself soon
    Wow, thanks for this link. DH and I are doing RAGBRAI in July, and I've been wondering what foods to pack. I'm sure lots of grilled meats will be available, and of course plenty of carbs & junk, but it'd be nice if I can feed myself part of the time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast