Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Read about sunlight ... but ... page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Read about sunlight ... but ...

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I've read about the benefits of not using sunscreen and all that, but I golf. Even if I put covering clothes on, I still have my face exposed for 3+ hours. How do you guys suggest going about preventing sunburn here? Would I have to wear sunscreen? If so, what kind? I also have acne-prone skin.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i would do a bit of research on sunscreens and ask for samples from the companies to try them out. it's what i did when i moved here. a lot of companies were happy to send me a couple of samples to try, and i ultimately picked one that worked for our whole family. i chose an organic one, with zinc oxide. solae, which is made in australia.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    I like Mark's ideas about the sun, but I factor in my scandanavian heritage, and the fact that us pale-faces evolutionarily managed throughout winter on other vitamin d sources like crab and seafood. A 10 minute face-up-to-the-sun break in midday always lifts my spirits. And I can manage with less sunscreen in the summer if I have a super-healthy diet w/lots of antioxidants.
    I'd second zoebirds' reccomendations. And bring a hat.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    getting sun is important, but not so much sun that you are going to burn. if you're concerned about that, wear a hat and spend a little time in the shade. if you're going to use sunscreen, make sure you're using the ones that will block the right rays...mark has a post about that somewhere.

i'm wondering if the primal diet changed my body's reaction to the sun. it used to be that i would be out in the sun for 15 minutes and i would burn; now, in the middle of summer, i'll sit on a mountain top or at the beach with the sun beating directly down on me for 1-2 hours and i don't get burned at all. i know that dietary cholesterol is what converts sunlight to vitamin d, and i eat a lot of eggs...but that's a pretty wild change.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Expose more skin for less time. 10-20 minutes full body sun (which converts to many hours of face only sun), covering clothes with hat after that.

i've noticed the same, primal rob, but not really primally and stuff. i mean, i've noticed over the last two years -- since i started eating a TON of avocados and avocado oil -- that the real change has come.

we are looking at doing full exposure before 9 am or after 5 pm (but it's cold here! LOL) for about 20 minutes. then just do the rest which is cover (easy, i'm always covered), and sunscreen the exposed skin. the main thing is getting the exposure when we can.

but, i'm also doing more research. any links that anyone can give me such as the "sunshine primer?"

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    CLO has kept me from getting sunburned (I'm a white chick who used to just burn after about 5 mins int he sun), and now instead of sunscreen I wear a wide brimmed hat, and make sure to stay covered as much as I can.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Krill oil has astaxanthin, which is the red stuff that the tiny shrimp (and critters which eat them) use to protect themselves against sunlight. You can also take canthaxanthin, another similar carotenoid which is good to prevent skin damage. And of course, wear a good hat to shade your face, especially your nose.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    we are looking at doing full exposure before 9 am or after 5 pm (but it's cold here! LOL) for about 20 minutes. [...]the main thing is getting the exposure when we can.
    Early and late sun has less UVB content (the air blocks UVB more than UVA or visible light), if you want to maximize vitamin D production per sun dose you need the sun at noon when the UVB content is highest.

Patrick:

i'm not sure how noon would work here, because the sun is *so* intense. but, that's why i'm asking for research/resources, not advice.

the sun exposure here in NZ is different than north america and europe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast