Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pregnancy and low progesterone page

ptmegan is offline Junior Member

pregnancy and low progesterone

Shop Now
    xx
    Last edited by ptmegan; 01-08-2012 at 07:50 PM.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Are you seeing a regular doctor?
    If you are, I would recommend seeing a obstetrician, gynecologist, or a reproductive endocrinologist. They might be better at giving you advice about what to do.

I lost a pregnancy due to low progesterone. You can take synthetic progesterone (pills) to support the baby and avoid miscarriage. I'm surprised you doctor hasn't advised that...

I'm not sure about low progesterone being influenced by diet (I'm not saying it isn't, I just don't know). I do know that in my experience, I had low progesterone and my general practitioner attributed it to PCOS. My gynecologist attributes it to a result of the hormonal mess caused be hypothalamic amenorrhea.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i also lost a pregnancy due to low progesterone.

all of my bloodwork (after) was "within normal ranges" but my fertility charting (using Katie Singer's Garden of Fertility) clearly showed a low progesterone issue. Following my intuition, my own research regarding diet/etc, and some insight from Susun Weed's book Wild Woman Herbal for the Child Bearing Years, i was able to get "textbook perfect" cycles, and my next pregnancy was no problem. My son is now two, and we currently have no interest in having another.

While others might have different and/or more severe issues, there are many methods that you can utilize once you are pregnant if the progesterone is still low. many doctors can help with this side of things, if it gets to that.

good luck!

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    I too am surprised your dr. isn't giving you progesterone supp. I had to take them with my 1st pregnancy for that same reason. That child is now a 6 1/2 year old wonderful little boy. With my 2nd child I was on it for only 2 weeks and progesterone went up on its own. This 3rd pregnancy I went primal 2 months before conceiving. Going primal makes you fertile and I have had no progesterone issues whatsoever, no need for supplementation. So, stick primal and it will correct itself, but in the meantime because you are preggo I would ask the dr. about supps. People get so wierd about it, supping Progesterone is totally different from miscarrying from genetic defects, nothing can stop miscarrying from genetic defects. Progesterone after week 10 is then taken over by your placenta instead of you, so after the 10 week mark your progesterone would go up.

Sorry didn't mean to jam that all in but I hope it makes sense.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    katie singer's book actually describes how primal makes you more fertile, too, and how to balance the hormones.

and i think the doctor might just let the first pregnancy ride out. more than 50% of first pregnancies end in miscarriage, so this is not a sign of infertility really. it's practically "normal." the doctor may be letting this run it's course, then see where she stands once the cycle is back in order.

MIstressKiki is offline Senior Member
    I would say that it is (unfortunately) very much a "wait and see" issue. Hopefully the progesterone will rise (or the doctor will supplement) soon but I imagine that your doctor has reasons not to supplement right now. I can imagine how difficult this is for you and can only send as many positive vibes as I can and keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck!!!!

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I lost several pregnancies (with a different OB) due to low progesterone (I beleive). The next OBGYN I saw (who was the cheif of obs at the hosp) took a look at my past labs, and he guessed what was going on, so he perscribed a low dose of progesterone and suggested I buy some baby asprin (prevents blood clotting, which is another factor that could be at work). He said the next time I peed positive, to start taking the asprin and Rx.

No more baby loss. I did that with both of my girls, and I carried to term with both.

I had PCOS by the way, which majorly messes with your hormones. Eating a proper, healthy diet will help balance them out, in my case I was able to start to even get pregnant naturally by going low carb (we tried for 10 years).

The HCG can continue to raise in a chemical pregnancy, which, there is no baby in there, just the sac and your body is still thinking that you were pregnant so it continues to grow until your body figures out whats going on.
    Last edited by elorajade; 01-08-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Additional info

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If you wish to, you can use an over-the-counter Progesterone cream (I use Pro-gest). Used as directed, it can provide a physiological dose of Progesterone. If the pregnancy isn't viable, Progesterone will not help, of course.

Going Primal helps with hormone balance. So does making sure you have good mineral balance. Also, make sure you are sufficient in Vitamin D--it's a hormone pre-cursor and many women are deficient. Here's an article on the topic.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-08-2011 at 03:18 PM.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    zoebird, did you just follow the herbal recommendations(along with Primal eating) to regulate your cycle?

ptmegan is offline Junior Member
    xx
    Last edited by ptmegan; 01-08-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast