Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dandruff page

Drifter is offline Member

Dandruff

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

I was curious of anyone here had a dandruff problem at one time or another and how you went about taking care of it? I thought possible not using shampoo anymore would help but that doesn't seem to have solved the problem (been about a month now). Any have other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Drifter

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had dandruff at all since going primal. Even before primal, I realized my occasional bouts of it seemed to correlate with carb intake...if I had a sugar binge, my scalp would go itchy and flaky and then take forever to calm down again. I often wondered if it's a yeast-y kinda thing.

How primal are you and for how long?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Digby is offline Senior Member
    My son had problem until he quit the bad carbs and started primal. A daily shampoo followed by a white vinegar rinse is good (1/4 c in pint of water-- add a couple drops lavendar oil for nice smell, and it is antimicrobial); but if the dandruff is really bad try Nizarol shampoo for a few weeks.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Had a problem in the past w/ dandruff, especially in winter, especially while wearing a dark blazer.

This winter, no evidence. Primal and without any shampoo (or vinegar or baking soda..just h2o) since August.

The big no poo, no soap experiment is about to get its big test. getting on a plane from home in Alaska headed for hawaii for 2 weeks.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I am still struggling with it myself. I thought it was carb related in the past as it would come and go (have been off and on low carb, gluten free for 5 years), but being VERY primal and consistent low carb for 8-9 months now has seen no change. I did no poo for about 6 months and my scalp just got worse and worse. I tried different combos, tea tree oils, more scrubbing, less, everything. I finally had to go back on a medicated shampoo so I could be seen in public. I am down to only washing every other day, but that is the most I can push it.

I have done dairy experiments before in the past, but nothing for longer then a couple weeks usually. So I went off dairy 100% as of 1/1, including butter which I usually don't eliminate. I am not going to change my hair regime yet and see if it improves. If not, I am going to have to hit the research again and figure it out.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Many times it is fungal/yeast related. You can tell by smelling the flakes. They will smell yeasty if that is the case. I would recommend a good probiotic. Also, I have been helped by applying apple cider vinegar to the scalp with a squeeze bottle (undiluted) and letting it soak while I wash, shave, etc. in the shower. Then I shampoo it out with an organic shampoo. That keeps it at bay but doesn't totally get rid of it in my experience. I've also been putting coconut oil on my scalp and letting it sit for awhile. That seems to help a lot.

Some people are helped by going "poo-less" and some aren't. I'm guessing that when that works it might be more related to dry scalp and irritation from chemicals in the "product".
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    I am still struggling with it myself. I thought it was carb related in the past as it would come and go (have been off and on low carb, gluten free for 5 years), but being VERY primal and consistent low carb for 8-9 months now has seen no change. I did no poo for about 6 months and my scalp just got worse and worse. I tried different combos, tea tree oils, more scrubbing, less, everything. I finally had to go back on a medicated shampoo so I could be seen in public. I am down to only washing every other day, but that is the most I can push it.

I have done dairy experiments before in the past, but nothing for longer then a couple weeks usually. So I went off dairy 100% as of 1/1, including butter which I usually don't eliminate. I am not going to change my hair regime yet and see if it improves. If not, I am going to have to hit the research again and figure it out.
    How's your vitamin D? I struggled with flaky eczema for years until I started supplementing to sufficiency.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Wash your hair with baking soda.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    How's your vitamin D? I struggled with flaky eczema for years until I started supplementing to sufficiency.
    I am taking 5000 iu a day right now, and my last test in May wasn't too bad and I was on a lower dose then. Also take a decent dose of fish oil.

I did mostly baking soda and ACV when I was 'no poo', but I later tried other recommendations when I continued to have problems....white vinegar, skipping the baking soda and just doing vinegar rinses, doing a natural conditioner rinse only, and various essential oil combos. I did coconut oil on my scalp a couple of times overnight when it was really bad, but I did not do an extended treatment test with that.

To be honest it is better while strict low carb, just cannot shake it 100%. If my recent diet adjustments don't resolve it, I will try a new topical regime.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Zinc + @ 1000 mg Vitamin C can be big help, and for eczema.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast