Thread: Diagnose my itchies, fellow Grok(ette)s page

spughy is offline Senior Member

Diagnose my itchies, fellow Grok(ette)s

Primal Fuel
    About a week ago I went off dairy completely. I had a minor slip yesterday afternoon and ate some goat cheese by accident. Prior to going off dairy I ate goat cheese regularly.

Last night I suddenly realized my upper arms were covered with itchy small red bumps - classic minor hives. I also had a few on the very tops of my cheekbones, just under my eye sockets, and those were itchy too.

The last time I can remember getting something like this, oddly enough, was more than 5 years ago, when I was taking an evolutionary psych class and went paleo for 3 or 4 days as an experiment. At that time, I put it down to brazil nuts (and that seemed to be borne out a few months later when I put some lotion that contained brazil nut oil on my arms and they broke out again.) Now, I DID eat a package of nuts from Starbucks yesterday, and it's possible they snuck a brazil nut in there. I was kind of multitasking when I ate it so I don't know, and I tossed the package. I don't think I'm THAT sensitive to brazil nuts and I think I would have noticed, anyway.

Also, my daughter had an unexplained hive-like rash about 2 weeks ago, it appeared Christmas Eve and persisted for several days despite antihistamines and calamine. (The calamine hasn't done much for me, and I haven't taken an antihistamine because they make me dopey.)

Sooo... what do you think? Reaction to goat cheese? Nuts? Something else?

Here's what I ate yesterday, to the best of my recollection:

- 2 slices natural bacon & 2 eggs
    - package of nuts
    - clam chowder from a restaurant - may have contained some cornstarch, had a few chunks of potato, oh crap THAT probably had milk in it too, jeez that was NOT a great thinking day, yesterday...
    - about 1 oz goat cheese and some seed crackers
    - a mandarin orange
    - homemade soup containing chicken stock, onion, carrot, celery, red pepper, savoy cabbage, dried mushrooms, dried shrimp, pork & sesame oil (yes it WAS yummy)
    - blood orange
    - a walnut I found on the counter

The likeliest candidates I can see are the nuts, the seed crackers, and the chowder. The other possibility is that it's a weird virus that I caught from DD that has a lengthy incubation period.

What do you think? Feel free to berate me for the chowder, that was dumb. But I don't see how I could react to the milk or goat cheese after only a week off it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this though?

(Also, my insides are very gurgly and I've spent quite a bit of time on the loo last night and tonight. Sorry for the TMI but...)

Paleobird Guest
    The digestive upset is classic of bad seafood which would point to the chowder as the culprit.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Yup, I'll buy that... although it tasted just fine, the restaurant was a good one, and the child wasn't affected at all - but would it cause a rash?

Paleobird Guest
    Probably not unless you have a seafood allergy. The rash may be a separate thing.