Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about over indulging in bacon page

LEED3D is offline Member

Question about over indulging in bacon

Shop Now
    Good Evening!

I've seen quite a few threads about the deliciousness of bacon and how much people consume it since I've started perusing these forums. I'm not here to deny how tasty bacon is as I also absolutely love it ( had several slices myself this morning!) However, I am curious as to why everyone is saying to eat as much bacon as you want. Since it's nearly impossible to get grass-fed pork, most of the bacon we consume I'd imagine is high in omega 6 fatty acids, correct? Unbalanced omega 3 to omega 6 ratios causes inflammation so don't we have to be concerned with eating too much bacon?

If I'm completely wrong on this, please let me know. I salivate over bacon and would like every excuse in the world to eat more of it haha.

Lee

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    bacon isn't really a eat-all-you-want food. i think of it more as a favorite seasoning more than anything else. beyond fat ratios and whatever might be used to cure the bacon, eating lots and lots of it adds lots of calories. eat too many calories and you will gain weight.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Google to find plenty of sources of pastured pork. We are lucky to have it available locally, but it's not impossible to find it--if you are willing to pay for it!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    The bacon bit is a running gag. Even proper fed bacon is still treated and you shouldn't eat too much of it.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Nobody should "eat as much as they want" lol. Like primalrob I use it as a seasoning, to sprinkle over BAS, to flavor mushrooms, in casseroles, in sauces...

I have however occasionally eaten bacon cooked with plenty of minced garlic dipped in spicy mustard as a meal. Beats he heck out of conventional "comfort food!"
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I buy Applegate natural bacon, no nitrates, etc. I love bacon; everything's better with bacon. I once --pre Primal days--had a maple frosted donut topped with bacon, a Portland Voodoo Donut speciality: sounds odd, but it was incredible. I joke with my family that when I die, have them wrap me in bacon before cremating me. Come to think of it: I think I will cook some bacon for a BLT salad. Bacon.......mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I overindulged in bacon one day - maybe 5 slices plus the grease from the pan on some avocado. I felt terrible that night - the consensus here was that it was salt overload.

I still like a little here and there as a condiment, but never eat more than a couple of strips of it per week.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    The bacon bit is a running gag. Even proper fed bacon is still treated and you shouldn't eat too much of it.
    A gag? You haven't seen 'Bacon Paradise' on the Travel Channel?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVThKHglqo <--preview

(-:
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    I eat 5slices every morning. Newman ranch veggies fed no hormone antibodies nitrates. Mabye this is too much?

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon tall tree View Post
    I eat 5slices every morning. Newman ranch veggies fed no hormone antibodies nitrates. Mabye this is too much?
    I am always for animal fat, so I think that is okay. I just wouldn't have too much more. Lots of salt and sugar in bacon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast