Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really off topic, but you primals are so smart I have to ask page

Primal Fuel

And with a title like that, I know everyone is going to read this! I have a second job interview with a non-profit that I am really want to work for. I have to prepare a 5 minute presentation on why I am the best person for the job. Here's the tricky part...I interviewed for the same position 2 years ago and made it through to the 2nd round with, what I thought, was a kick ass presentation. I took the job description and requirements and made a powerpoint presentation with the details of the job and what I've done in the past that matches the job. So, now I need to do one better. I need help!

maba is offline Senior Member

Would you mind posting the job description? That might help us give you ideas.

Absolutely:

"plan and coordinate special events and fund-raising programs like golf tournaments, social events and other community programs. In addition, you will prospect and solicit corporate sponsors, coordinate volunteer events and interact with patient families."

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Give your presentation in front of friends and/or family who will give you an honest opinion. Did you give enough specific examples? Did you give too much information? Is your voice too loud, too soft, too whiny?

How will you dress? Seems to me like you would want to look nice but not too showy, particularly with a non-profit. And no face jewelry. Any tattoos? Cover them with clothes if possible.

And for goodness sake, don't start talking to any of the interviewers about going primal!

CaveCat Guest

After 15+ years in marketing, the best advice I can give is to really understand and present what the END client wants to hear, not what the actual client wants to say. What I mean is, present how you will present their message (based on what corporate sponsors, families, volunteers will respond to) to meet their objectives (raising $, achieving greater family involvement, etc). It sounds like they're looking to gauge your creativity regarding their project vs. an overview of what you've done in the past. IMHO.

I agree with dragonmamma, too. Conservative dress is best!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I really wish I had some advice but I'm about as unprofessional as it comes. :P

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Hey, Diana, I'm not dissing your tattoos or piercings; I think you're adorable!!

But when it comes to job interviews, let's face it...individuality just doesn't cut it. You've got to wait until AFTER you get the job, then you can start showing up in Vibram Five Fingers while toting a raw hunk of meat for lunch.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

That's ok. I figure it this way. If a company won't hire me because of my tattoos or piercings, they're not the kind of people I want to work for. I just shrug and move on.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

PJAP, if I understood correctly, you are expected to convince sponsors to fund events and people to assist to them. And you have to convince your prospective employers that you are fit to do all of the above.

My two cents:

- look like you really beleive in the goals of the NGO. The more you genuinely believe in them, the more naturally convincing you'll be to all the parties.

- identify the NGO members' tribe and make sure to look and act like you belong to it. Ie, don't wear a Versace black suit for an Oxfam interview.

- be clear of what your target clients are (which companies and what kind of families), and convey that UPI can empathize with both.

- do some research on your interviewers and the heads of the NGO. Look for little things in common with the interviewers (common sports?) and "deeper" connections with the heads (strong commitment with the fight against sweat shops).

Hope this helps, best of lucks.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Catalina is offline Member

PJAP. . .I work in education, and I've also worked in volunteer/board status for nonprofits, and I can tell you that in addition to having great qualifications, most will want to hear about the passion you have for their mission. . .they're passionate about it (hopefully) and they want you to be also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast