Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homemade ketchup page 3

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I used to use coconut palm sugar to make my papaya salad years ago, instead of the disappointing white sugar most Thai restaurants in the USA really use(saves them $). In time, I decided I didn't need/want any extra added outside sweetener in my food. For the papaya salad, I simply used less lime juice & less fish sauce & no added sweetener & quite quickly, I got used to no sweetener in it. After reading the article posted by Tee, on the possible threat of Philipine coco sugar against the future stability of their entire coco oil & flake/flour industry, I'll pass on the info to my koo-koo-for-coco sugar lovin' friends. Whoda' thunk it?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Here is a link to a traditional lacto fermented tomato ketchup, which will keep well for several months. (Hovere, if you don't like ketchup enough to finish this quantity in far less time than that - why bother making it at all??!!)

Homemade Ketchup Recipe

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Here is a link to a traditional lacto fermented tomato ketchup, which will keep well for several months. (Hovere, if you don't like ketchup enough to finish this quantity in far less time than that - why bother making it at all??!!)

Homemade Ketchup Recipe
    This looks great, and I agree about the time frame! Just cooked a hunk of roast beef that is screaming for some sauce for the leftovers

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member
    new to the nuts and bolts, so what is really wrong with reg stree ketchup? ingredients seem the same?

Quote Originally Posted by tcseacliff View Post
    new to the nuts and bolts, so what is really wrong with reg stree ketchup? ingredients seem the same?
    Sugar is a huge part of ketsup, even "healthy organic" ones. I just made my own, took a couple of hours to boil down the 'maters but zero sugar (touch of stevia) & now I'm lightly fermenting it, woo hoo
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    TBH I've just started using crushed tomato in its place. Works just fine for me. Tomato has enough sugar in it on its own to be sweet IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    TBH I've just started using crushed tomato in its place. Works just fine for me. Tomato has enough sugar in it on its own to be sweet IMO.
    So true. The ripe beefsteak 'maters my cousin gifted me, were SO sweet, naturally, or maybe hybridized to be sweet... Regardless, tomatoes are fruits & tonight's 'maters tasted as sweet as any other fruit I've eaten this past week. A pinch of stevia is all I added to my ketsup, as some of the natural sugars in it will be consumed in the fermentation process...

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly393 View Post
    Instead of splenda, I recommend using palm sugar.
    Stevia is not splenda. Of all the natural sweetners, only stevia had health benefits: good for your pancreas, no dental or gum decay. Splenda, um, no thanks. Splenda Side Effects | A New Look At The Dangers Of Splenda | Is ...www.peertrainer.com/.../complete-guide-to-sweeteners.aspx
    I used coconut palm sugar for many years, as I've cooked certain dishes as true to the traditional Thai recipes as possible. But palm sugar, though it has a better nutritional profile than other sugars, still is, in the end, sugar. If I want to sweeten something, I tend to use a mashed up banana or a pinch of pure stevia. Chaco recommended Stevita brand, as the cleanest, & as I'm almost out of my bottle(after 2 years of use, 1 small bottle!), I'm ordering Stevita off Amazon soon...

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    A friend of mine has made that lacto-fermented ketchup from the Nourished Kitchen and I can attest to its awesomeness. I have plans to make my own fermented ketchup and some preserved lemons.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post

Homemade Ketchup Recipe
    This looks easy and yum...particularly if it does last that long.

Thanks for the link

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123