Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoothie substitute page

reba627 is offline Member

Smoothie substitute

So I know that soy milk is a no-no, and I don't like almond milk and regular milk doesn't agree with me (even though other forms of dairy don't give me any problems), so replacing my breakfast smoothie (protein powder, spinach, 1/2 banana and sometimes some cashew butter, or swapping out the cashew butter and banana with some frozen berries)...

Should I go for the full fat coconut milk (8 oz serving) or use the light coconut milk? I usually drink this about 4 days/week (have eggs the other days)

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    It really depends on what calorie load you're looking for. Full fat will probably taste better, but if you're eating huge lunches and dinners you might prefer light.

Good luck!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Full fat.

I've actually been coming in under my "recommended" calories (1800/day for weight loss). Since I've started doing CrossFit (do that about 4 days a week) and am on my primal journey, well it's amazing how many calories you save when you're not eating crap!

Wonder if Costco carries the cans/cartons of full fat....

Thanks!

PS-I know I still have a long way to go before I'm perfectly primal, but like my friend who is doing this with me said the other day "I bought REAL CREAM for my coffee! It's great!". Then I see another friend only eat fat free cheese, fat free sour cream, won't use olive oil (or any other oil) because of the fat and think "ewwww"

peril is offline Senior Member
    Light coconut milks have additives to give them the desired texture. They're really processed foods. Go full fat, pure coconut milk and just use as much as you want
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

gordo is offline Senior Member
    You said other forms of milk don't bother you - so I'd try whole-milk yogurt and kefir. That's what I use.

Gordo

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reba627 View Post
    Wonder if Costco carries the cans/cartons of full fat....
    They have the 8-packs out here in CA.

As others have suggested, you might want to look at plain whole milk yogurt as another option, too.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Thanks all for the quick responses! I've done yogurt before, but it was a bit too thick for my liking. Maybe I'll do half yogurt and half water.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    If you like avocados, they are great in smoothies, and they give you a lot more versatility in using thinner/less liquids. I only tried them when I went off dairy, but haven't looked back since then.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Any good recipes for coconut milk smoothies? My issue with them is that they are awfully thin. My wife and I have been consuming milk kefir smoothies for two years now (we make our own) but are experimenting with going without dairy for awhile. I am letting the grains rest in milk in the fridge right now.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast