Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are "Primal" Potatoes better? Acceptably so? page

tai haku is offline Junior Member

Are "Primal" Potatoes better? Acceptably so?

So I've been thinking about potatoes and being a plant nerd I've been doing so in a plant nerdy way. I can totally get on board with the primal rationale for cutting potatoes but from time to time I want chips which led me to the following thought process.

The potato is one of the most modified and selectively bred of all plants and varieties have long been selected for "unprimal" traits such as starchiness and whiteness. There are however primitive i(or perhaps if you will "primal") varieties which hark back to the potatoes wild andean heritage. Things that look like some of the weirdo potatoes in this post:
    http://oca-testbed.blogspot.com/2010...ean-tuber.html

I wonder if these small brightly coloured varieties are better for us on the primal scale than the more widely grown big, starchy white spud? Does anyone know of any testing on the subject of spud nutrition by variety? Might the freaky heirlooms be better for us and even dare I say it primally acceptable? I'm thinking they'll never be ideal but these varieties may be that little bit better option for the days when you just gotta have some mash or some roasties (and yes I know you can do them both with "other veg" but from time to time I feel like being traditional and I'm tired of fighting it)

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Interesting question. The range of glycemic ratings for potato varieties and cooking methods is huge. And it seems like the colorful varieties would have more antioxidants.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Different types of potatoes have wildly different amounts of glycoalkaloids. Best to peel them, that's the traditional way to prepare them. Most of the toxins are in or just under the skin. If the potato is really small, you won't have much left.

http://www.ethiopianreview.com/health/201002/?p=144894

Gordo

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I sucessfully eat sweet potatos with no adverse affects on either stomach issues or weight gain.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes are one of my indulgences. Once a month or so I have them as a treat.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Aside from the glycoalkaloids, the major problem with potatoes is their high GI. A very simple way of mediating that is by eating them with fibrous veggies -- the soluble fiber slows digestion leading to a more gradual release of glucose into the bloodstream.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    GI of different sizes and types differs from quite low to off the chart.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    UMM..How bout you just try a small helping of deliciously prepared spuds that interest you and see how you feel afterward? I know it sounds WAY too simplistic, but that's how I would handle it. I certainly wouldn't torture myself over it

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    Aside from the glycoalkaloids, the major problem with potatoes is their high GI. A very simple way of mediating that is by eating them with fibrous veggies -- the soluble fiber slows digestion leading to a more gradual release of glucose into the bloodstream.
    what about fat instead of fibrous veggies?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliemama View Post
    UMM..How bout you just try a small helping of deliciously prepared spuds that interest you and see how you feel afterward? I know it sounds WAY too simplistic, but that's how I would handle it. I certainly wouldn't torture myself over it
    What a refreshing suggestion! This is how I like to test foods, by how I react to a small amount!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast