Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substitute for pullups? page

dakini is offline Senior Member

Substitute for pullups?

I don't currently have a pull up bar, and one is not in the budget at the moment. I do plan to get one, but it will have to wait.
    What can I do as a substitute? I do have a Bowflex with the overhead pulldown. Can I do that until I can afford a pullup bar?
    And no, I don't have any tree limbs or exposed beams I can use lol. And it's a little too cold here at the moment to use the park. My hands would freeze to the bar, and with mitts or gloves I'd slip off.

thanks!

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Yes you can do it with the bowflex.

Another suggestion is take a mop or broom handle and put over two chair seats. Place the chairs far enough apart so that you can lie on your back and then pull yourself up keeping your back straight. I believe it is called the Australian pull up.

rocknroll is offline Senior Member
    When you're ready to buy one, check out...

This

This

And this
    "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    Another suggestion is take a mop or broom handle and put over two chair seats. Place the chairs far enough apart so that you can lie on your back and then pull yourself up keeping your back straight. I believe it is called the Australian pull up.
    Good call. To the OP, check out my article on Australian Pull-ups.

Then check out this one.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

primalpilgrim is offline Senior Member
    You can try doing a bunch of elevated push ups. The higher you elevate your feet, the harder it is and it will teach you to keep the necessary tension in your body for a pull up. Keeping your body a perfect straight plank during the course of the push ups is the key. Here is a video of me doing a set of elevated push ups. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLPV294qcLw

Once you have the arm and core strength to do this, you can try doing handstand push ups.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the australian/inverted pull up idea. Like a similar thread on here the other day though, push ups will have very little effect on your pull ups performance.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I guess I'll be the a-hole:

You don't have ~$20 to go to walmart and get a door-mounted bar? I use that and it's great for indoor workouts. I figure if you have an internet connection you can spare 20 bucks for said bar. Save up for one, if money is really tight, you won't regret it. I have the gold's one.

Everything else suggested here is good, but if you want to do pull ups, get a pull up bar or get creative.

dakini is offline Senior Member
    Thank you everyone! I will definitely try the Australian pullups and the modified pushups. I wanted to get some other options, and these are great!

And iniQuity, it would cost me more than $20 where I am. And feeding my daughter and I is more important to me than running out to get a pullup bar. Sorry.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dakini View Post
    Thank you everyone! I will definitely try the Australian pullups and the modified pushups. I wanted to get some other options, and these are great!

And iniQuity, it would cost me more than $20 where I am. And feeding my daughter and I is more important to me than running out to get a pullup bar. Sorry.
    You could sell your Bowflex...

TimBell is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you have a strong enough door (the ones that aren't hollow, like a solid wooden door) then you could perform door pull ups. Simply open up the door and place a towel under the door (directly under the handle). This will prevent the door from being pulled downward during the pull up. Then grip the top of the door and start busting out some pull ups. If the top of the door is rough you can lay another towel over it to protect your hands. This works great when traveling and when staying at hotels. Plus because the front of your body will be in contact with the door, it will prevent you from swinging up into your pull up! Here's a vid enjoy =) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADnoyLFVDcc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast