Thread: What are your most relevant measures? page

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member

What are your most relevant measures?

Primal Fuel
    What do you think is important to measure?

We have all heard "ditch the scale" and "use the mirror" and "judge by the fit of your jeans". there are also fitness performance measures (e.g., # of pull ups). Then of course there is blood work and ll of the measures that come out of that.

Beyond those, what do you think are good objective ways to measure the state of your body. I am thinking mostly of weight/muscle/leanness and of things that can be implemented at home.

What do you do? What do you think is most relevant?

Thanks,
    One Delta Ten Tango

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    no thoughts on the subject?.... Should I denigrate one gender or another to get a rise? Retitle the thread "What to measure when veganism is clearly superior"?

One Delta Ten Tango, over but not out.
    Last edited by OneDeltaTenTango; 01-07-2011 at 11:30 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i do body fat percentage with calipers, which i know is inaccurate, but it's what i use. i use that, the measurement of my waist, the appearance of my body, the fit of my clothes, and the way that i feel.

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    I use clothing fit to a certain extent but still do use the scale. I find that clothes can also be deceptive because certain garments, like jeans, stretch as you wear them. I have quite a bit to lose and would not be a happy camper if the scale stayed the same but I "felt" like I was losing weight. The only way, I think that clothing can work is buying a smaller size and keep trying it. I think if you "only" have 5, 10, or even 15 pounds to lose, the scale can be discouraging. However, when you have 50 pounds to lose, the scale can still be motivating and useful.

Carrie

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    for me:
    the way my jeans fit
    the way my skin looks
    blood pressure
    hemoglobin A1c
    C-reactive protein (inflammatory marker)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    no thoughts on the subject?.... Should I denigrate one gender or another to get a rise? Retitle the thread "What to measure when veganism is clearly superior"?

One Delta Ten Tango, over but not out.
    Hey, sometimes you just have to be patient and wait. Not everyone is interested in everything that's posted here.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use my abdominal circumference since it is where I hold most of my fat, it is also the one singular item that routinely caused me to fail my fit test (PT test for you other branches).

I also use the body fat calculator at teh gym, I realize it is not 100% accurate, but if it tells me I have improved my body composition I think it is at least somewhat beneficial. Before I was put on profile for my shoulder and my knee the BF machine at the gym gave me a reading of 28%, that was in OCtober. I was put on profile in the middle of Oct, and now although my weight is about the same, my BF% is up to 30%...boo. But, I am pretty sure my muscle composition is less. I have only been doing the elliptical since mid Oct since I wasn't allowed to run, jump, squat, crawl, etc. That really limits the lower body work I could do. I also was not allowed to 'push-pull more than 20 pounds' so yeah, basically no upper body either. my quads are visibly less muscular. Thank goodness the doc put me on a 'PT at own" pace profile now, so I can add back strength training and get back on my journey to 20% BF.

Anyway, I do still use the scale. I also will do a bunch of different body measurements and figure out BF% from those. I can't go by clothing because even when I gain muscle and lose fat I tend to stay in the same size for a few months.