Thread: Anyone know the path that a fat takes in metabolism right after you eat it? page

DPB67 is offline Junior Member

Anyone know the path that a fat takes in metabolism right after you eat it?

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

Been going Primal for about 3 weeks now. I find the concepts from Mark's book really make sense both from a practical and a physiological point of view. I understand the concept of the path that occurs immediately after you eat too much carb...that is insulin spikes (fat synthesis starts)...Glucagon is inhibited (so fat metabolism stops). This is all well documented on many web sites.

Does anyone have a good link or idea that explains the physiology (or biochemistry) that happens immediately after you eat a fat. I mean...does it get stored temporarily and then broken down? Or does its break down occur immediately in the blood stream so-to-speak. I alway thought we burn the fat by releasing it from storage in fat cells.

Thanks for any insight.
    DPB

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    i'm interested to know, too!

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Well I cannot answer your entire question but I do have a thing to say. I noticed you asked if fat was stored and then broken down. This is entirely the opposite. CW has led you to believe that fat you eat is stored as fat. Fat you eat is used for repairing muscles, repairing organs, energy to live and only will be stored if you consume fat way past the point of fullness. Carbs on the otherhand get stored as fat if your body cannot use them right then and there. Normally, your body cannot use them right then and there. They can be broken down, though. That is why it is important to keep your fat at 60% or higher of your total calorie intake, protein 5-30% and carbs below 20%.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    "Fat will only be stored if consumed past the point of fullness"- I dont think that's a correct statement.

Grizz is offline Banned
    DPB,
    I wanted to know, also. Great question. I found this excellent link:

Introduction to Fat Cells
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/huma...s/fat-cell.htm

1) How Fats Are Digested
    1. Large fat droplets get mixed with bile salts from the gall bladder in a process called emulsification. The mixture breaks up the large droplets into several smaller droplets called micelles, increasing the fat's surface area.
    2. The pancreas secretes enzymes called lipases that attack the surface of each micelle and break the fats down into their parts, glycerol and fatty acids.
    3. These parts get absorbed into the cells lining the intestine.
    4. In the intestinal cell, the parts are reassembled into packages of fat molecules (triglycerides) with a protein coating called chylomicrons. The protein coating makes the fat dissolve more easily in water.
    5. The chylomicrons are released into the lymphatic system -- they do not go directly into the bloodstream because they are too big to pass through the wall of the capillary.
    6. The lymphatic system eventually merges with the veins, at which point the chylomicrons pass into the bloodstream.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/huma.../fat-cell1.htm
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/huma.../fat-cell1.htm

2) Fat Storage
    In the last section, we learned how fat in the body is broken down and rebuilt into chylomicrons, which enter the bloodstream by way of the lymphatic system.

Chylomicrons do not last long in the bloodstream -- only about eight minutes -- because enzymes called lipoprotein lipases break the fats into fatty acids. Lipoprotein lipases are found in the walls of blood vessels in fat tissue, muscle tissue and heart muscle. More on Fat Storage Here:
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/huma.../fat-cell2.htm

3) How Fats are Burned and more
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/huma.../fat-cell3.htm

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-08-2011 at 04:30 AM.

DPB67 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the ideas and links everyone. This helps alot. I think this is an important aspect in educating friends and family (and society on the PB diet). There is a ton of info even in mainstream media on the insulin effect and it is pretty easy to explain. I mean think about it...we are telling people (who unlike ourselves who have experiences that refute CW) to go with 60% fat in their diet! We better darn well be able to tell them what happens to that fat in a similar way that we explain the high carb scenario.

We even have a nice chart describing what will happen between 50-100g 150-300g and so on. Anyone know how much (in grams ) we should be eating of fat? Also...I'm 185 lbs...does a 110 lb female have the same gram quantity requirements for carb and fat ?

Great Forum...I'm learning alot!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Here's a good basic site that describes metabolism of fats, proteins, carb: http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Met-Obe/Metabolism.html
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    "Fat will only be stored if consumed past the point of fullness"- I dont think that's a correct statement.
    Or when accompanied by an excess of carbs.