Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating "pet food"?? page

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member

Eating "pet food"??

Primal Fuel
    ....quality grass-fed pet food from slankers. I just noticed slankers sells "pet food" at really good prices, and from what I gather it is just ground beef with bits of organ meats. They also sell grass-fed liver for pets for only $2.78 a pound. They also have a variety of bones that I am guessing would be great for making stews. Do you guys think most of this stuff is safe for human consumption, or should I opt for "human food?" There prices are great, and if I could I eat this, it would save me a lot of money.

Here is the link:

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/id77.htm

vnumus is offline Junior Member
    I've ate the pet food and its pretty good. Made burgers from it, shephards pie, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. Seems "fattier" than reg. ground meat and the taste is a little different. So far I'm fine and I've eaten about 20# of it...

Nice. That's good to know. The prices are great, and I find it weird that they sell organ meats and fattier cuts of meat as pet food. Hoping there isn't any sanitation differences.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    just be wary that some meats sold for pet consumption are de-natured with charcoal to prevent human consumption. It should be clearly labeled if it is...one place local that sells meat for pet food doesn't "promote" it as being de-natured on their site, but it's stamped on the box. They used to have a problem at race tracks with trainers taking (4D) meat home to their families instead of feeding it to the racers...charcoal took care of that.

Most meat sold for pet consumption is sold that way for a reason...it can be 4D meat or otherwise doesn't meet the USDA/gov't standard for being fit for humans.
    Last edited by kennelmom; 01-07-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Please be careful with this. I posted ages ago on here about prion-bourne illnesses such as BSE and vCJD. They are not bacteria, or viruses, and cannot be destroyed by cooking.

Ok now I am beginning to get scared of trying this hahahh. I guess I'll pass then, because I don't want to risk anything. Does anyone know if slankers sells organ meats for human consumption. I looked around there website but couldn't find anything.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/bee...and_prices.htm

About halfway down the page under "Organ Meats and Fat". Looks like the liver is the same price as for pets!

Thanks a lot!! I dont know how I missed it.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    I saw on "dirty jobs" how canned pet foods are made. Tripe is usually added to the meat including the contents of the intestines. This gives cats and dogs fiber. It's not something I'd care to eat.

megguspee is offline Junior Member
    i feed my kitties a higher-quality food, having owned a diabetic cat and not wanting to go through it again. Some of it looks pretty darn good, lol. but yeah, eating it? no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast