Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone find success with veggie version of paleo? page

tuscany is offline Junior Member

Anyone find success with veggie version of paleo?

Shop Now
    Hi, I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian & wanted to know if any one here has had any success with a paleo type diet keeping veggie? I do not like the taste & texture of meat. I also cannot eat soy due to hyperthyroid graves diease. Which natually limits me. Just curious about others' experiencs, if anyone has any to share.
    TIA

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    So you eat eggs and consume some dairy? Honestly, though I think you'd be better off eating SOME meat/fish as long as you're not eating heavily processed stuff and avoid grains you will be better off than most.

Sadly, this is not to say you will feel all that great either. Do you greatly dislike ALL types of animal flesh? they're so diverse I can't imagine not liking ANY of them.

No, unfortunately I do not like the taste of any meat - I realize this is hard to undertsand, but I grew up in India and meat is not a star in many households. I do eat eggs & dairy though.
    I will add I do not "feel" bad; since Indian cuisine is somewhat geared to vegetarianism, being veggie does not mean eating carbs with a side of carbs. We typically have lentils & vegetables of different kinds every day. So I have no problems with energy, my skin is great, my sleep is great etc. I have a mean sweet tooth though which is the source of my weight issues (also genes - my grandma was quite large, even as a young woman & this was in the day of no processed anything, grind your own flour, pull water from the well, all manual work etc). My dad takes after her, I take after him... Also, I believe in the theory enough that I feel its a good nutritional plan to follow. I am weighing the option of this vs. regular calorie counting for losing the weight first.
    Last edited by tuscany; 01-07-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    paleo/primal and vegetarian are mutually exclusive eating patterns. You really can't be both. As a LIFESTYLE, you can emulate the exercise routines and choices of a primal/paleo way of living, but when it comes to eating there really is no middle ground. Animal flesh is a critical component of a paleo/primal diet and there are no substitutes for it. I have seen protein powders made from beef that may be the closest thing you will find. Have you used traditional indian spices in your cooking of the meat or are you eating the meat plain or prepared with western spices you are not particulalry used to? Good luck.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    paleo/primal and vegetarian are mutually exclusive eating patterns. You really can't be both. As a LIFESTYLE, you can emulate the exercise routines and choices of a primal/paleo way of living, but when it comes to eating there really is no middle ground. Animal flesh is a critical component of a paleo/primal diet and there are no substitutes for it. I have seen protein powders made from beef that may be the closest thing you will find. Have you used traditional indian spices in your cooking of the meat or are you eating the meat plain or prepared with western spices you are not particulalry used to? Good luck.
    This. I'm sorry, but "primal vegetarian" is a contradiction in terms.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

ok, no dice then. I will try it my self for a few months and write back for the benefit of other people who may be in the same boat. I did follow a modified low carb diet a few years ago & did lose weight with it. However, I credit the soy products and/or aspartame with my Graves Disease, so those two items are not going to make a comeback in my life. Will start with cutting out the grains and restricting the sugar (the hardest part for me); keeping the beans, veggies, some fruit, eggs, nuts, yogurt. We'll see what happens....

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    This. I'm sorry, but "primal vegetarian" is a contradiction in terms.
    I know I know, but meat is just not the big win for me - as in, I can't eat bread, so what, I can eat this juicy steak! =)

eraserheadgirl Guest
    Good luck to you tuscany, let us know how it turns out for you. You might try cutting up mild tasting white fish, like tilapia, and incorporating it into curry sauce.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Good luck, I agree though that vegetarianism is incompatible with Primal - the knowledge base around Primal is pretty meat-centered and we wouldn't have too much to offer you.
    I have no doubt that you could find good health doing it your own way though - as long as you get some eggs and dairy, and maybe supplement with B12, you could probably do fine. Up your fats to reduce the sugar cravings, vegetarian or no.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member

Ignore them

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Ignore the me Tarzan types.

Primal is a life style not a meat centered diet. It is completely possible to be primal and lacto-ovo. Mark's son is vegetarian and his wife is piscatarian. More

FYI - I eat meat.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast