Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Torn Rotator Cuff: Should I wait it out or get the minimally invasive surgery? page 5

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Four weeks later, and I'm getting some decent range of motion, and expect to be 100% in a few more weeks. The therapist is a gem. My main trouble is sleeping, since when you relax the muscles holding the rotator cuff relax and some strain will be felt if I get on my side. Still, it's been tolerable. My caution to you young un's, take it easy on your back and joints. Eventually, they can give out.
    I am glad it's going well. You should be back to 100% by the time spring arrives!

Aren't you glad to get out of the recliner?

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Adrianag. Yes, I'm glad to be out of the recliner, but still waking up at 3am with aching shoulder. I'm using a pillow to brace me up, but I keep forgetting to just put the TENS gizmo on and leave it all night. Going to go right myself a note right now.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Big day: can lift my arm and extend over my head same as nonsurg arm, though with more effort! Can almost reach middle of my back, and side extension is better but still needs work. I'm doing the therapy three days a week, and lots of repetitions at home-- also doing exercises on my Total Gym on first/flat level. So, a bit over a month later, I'm pleased with the outcome of having gone ahead with the surgery. Now the real key is to remember to always lift with care and try not to fall.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Two days post surgery. Rooted in a recliner with an ice water cuff over my right shoulder, pumping regularly-- a wonderful device. If I had to choose between this cuff and pain pills, I would choose the cuff hands down. As I am right handed, having to do eveything with my left is challenging, but so far getting most things done w/o too much trouble. My beloved makes everything easier, I can't imagine doing this solo. Got sick from hydrocodone yesterday-- major rebound headache, nausea,etc, which seems strange considering it is pain med, but apparently a common side effect. Feeling much better today, *and only needed one pain pill. Sleeping 2-3 hours now and then in recliner, not hungry, but getting lots of mineral water and green tea. *Got my i-gadgets, books-- re-reading Primal Blueprint-- and cat, so all things considered, I'm doing quite well. All the good advice about clothing, etc, has helped a great deal.

I totally missed this!! I'm so glad you're doing well... and glad the advice about clothes, etc. helped. It's really humbling on some level to be without a major limb, isn't it?

Big day: can lift my arm and extend over my head same as nonsurg arm, though with more effort! Can almost reach middle of my back, and side extension is better but still needs work. I'm doing the therapy three days a week, and lots of repetitions at home-- also doing exercises on my Total Gym on first/flat level. So, a bit over a month later, I'm pleased with the outcome of having gone ahead with the surgery. Now the real key is to remember to always lift with care and try not to fall.
    Aren't you glad to have this behind you?

Cross your fingers for me I have an appt tomorrow with an orthopedic surgeon to check out my hip situation. In addition to osteoarthritis, it looks like I might have a torn labrum in the hip joint. Hopefully they can repair it arthroscopically with no need for hip replacement. This growing old stuff sucks. I want to do sprints and run in the beach!

Adrianag: i sure hope you don't have to have the big surgery! It's a low down, sorry state of affairs that about the time we get our heads on straight, the rest of our bods start getting out of whack. I'll be thinking of you-- all the best!

Two months later and I can say my shoulder is 100%, and I'm glad I went ahead with the surgery. It was a hell of a rehab period, but now I've got a good strong shoulder and arm again. I'm going to take very good care of these shoulders from now on; and find myself unwittingly chastising loved ones when I see them overdoing something that could lead to RC injury. So I'm done with this thread. Thanks to all who gave me such great advice.

Adrianag: i sure hope you don't have to have the big surgery! It's a low down, sorry state of affairs that about the time we get our heads on straight, the rest of our bods start getting out of whack. I'll be thinking of you-- all the best!
    Well it looks like the hip is definitely kaput! I have gotten 2 opinions and both docs say the only option is a total hip replacement. I'm seeing a third doc in 2 weeks who does a less invasive THR with an anterior incision that is supposed to have a much quicker recovery time. He is the only surgeon in the state who does it and there was a 6 week delay to consult him.

I am so glad you are back to 100%. I hope to be close to that soon.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 04-03-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Well it looks like the hip is definitely kaput! I have gotten 2 opinions and both docs say the only option is a total hip replacement. I'm seeing a third doc in 2 weeks who does a less invasive THR with an anterior incision that is supposed to have a much quicker recovery time. He is the only surgeon in the state who does it and there was a 6 week delay to consult him.

I am so glad you are back to 100%. I hope to be close to that soon.
    Adrian, Thanks for your kind thoughts. I wish you lots of luck, and a great surgeon!

redge is offline Junior Member

Partial Cuff Tear and Krill Oil

My shoulder started hurting for no apparent reason around October 2011.

Woke up one morning with it and it's been like an never ending nightmare since.

Figured it would go away didn't see a doc until around January or so.

Had an ultrasound and they could see the tear.

Anti-inflamatories and lots of rest

Didn't help just lessened the pain

Did some googling, came up with Krill Oil somehow somewhere. Expensive stuff. I've taken cod liver oil for sore knee and found that it helped almost instantly and read that Krill Oil is something like 20kx's better.

Was real sad that I didn't get instant results but kept with it.

Four days after starting the krill oil, 2 per day, woke up and the nightmare was over ! (around one month ago now)

All this time I couldn't lift my arm, couldn't even take my T-shirt off.

All in the past now.

I was worried about the surgery too, still am, I'm not 100% better, going to take it slow, but I can lift my arm over my head and take off my t-shirt and sleep !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started doing some curls a few days ago and had to stop, shoulder next day a little sore. 15 lbs was a little too much. I'll try 10 lbs next time.

I've always been skeptical and cynical but I tried this because I had good luck previously with natural remedies on one other occasion for diverticulitis, may be spelled wrong, but it's some kind of a problem with a narrow part of the intestine apparently from lack of fibre. Troubled me for years, decades. Took Aloe Vera Juice 59ml daily for about a month and now I just take it when I feel like it and am good as new and feel like I can eat glass and nails. Before, I couldn't eat anything without having abdominal pains.

As digby mentioned, I too can't understand why all the rotator cuff problems.

I took breathers for asthma, had kidney stones, just in case any of this is a common denominator for anyone trying to figure out the same puzzle.
    Last edited by redge; 04-16-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast