Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Hunger Vs Emotional Eating? page

irenesom is offline Senior Member

Real Hunger Vs Emotional Eating?

Primal Fuel
    So I have started getting into PB since 27th Dec - after a sugar rollercoaster December. Last year I cut out processed carbs and was what I considered a clean eater although not PB at all. I hadn't really read much about it.

Anyway, december I started eating more and more sugary carbs and that sent me spiralling into some epic sugary binges. This is something has been an occurance from time to time over the past year. Real emotional eating.

Since switching to PB I have noticed a big decrease in my cravings and the need for emotional eating - although yesterday I overate on nuts/fruits. Unlike my past binges that would set me off on a 3-5 day binge of overeating sugary carbs but today i feel calm. In fact if anything I feel bloated with no real hunger. I had to force myself to eat breakfast.

Anyone got any experience on overcoming emotional eating? I think the pb is a big step forward, as I am getting more in touch with feeling hungry. Before when I was hungry it was dire "eat now!) and then I would overeat on sweet stuff leading to more cravings.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'm an emotional eater/boredom eater.

I actually kinda embrace it now. If I'm feeling down, a really rich, meaty primal meal makes me feel so much better. And unlike carbs, it's self-limiting--I simply can't stuff more than a certain amount down, and the wellbeing of it hits almost immediately. Whereas with carbs, I can inhale an insane amount, and any wellbeing from it is a little delayed and very, very brief.

Edited to add: I guess the other difference is when I realize I'm down and some really great food would help, I then have to generally make it. And I find that comforting...the act of making the food that will make me feel better. So different from the days of "grab the nearest chocolate bar...."
    Last edited by lizch; 01-07-2011 at 07:36 AM.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    the longer I eat primally, the easier it is to avoid boredom or emotional eating. Natural foods higher in fat and protein seem to keep my moods more stable. The only time I still struggle with sugar cravings is my TOM. And I just keep sugar - even fruit - out of the house during that time. It's gotta be a hormonal thing and if I know sugar is in the house, it will torture me until I give in.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I'm an emotional eater/boredom eater.

I actually kinda embrace it now. If I'm feeling down, a really rich, meaty primal meal makes me feel so much better. And unlike carbs, it's self-limiting--I simply can't stuff more than a certain amount down, and the wellbeing of it hits almost immediately. Whereas with carbs, I can inhale an insane amount, and any wellbeing from it is a little delayed and very, very brief.

Edited to add: I guess the other difference is when I realize I'm down and some really great food would help, I then have to generally make it. And I find that comforting...the act of making the food that will make me feel better. So different from the days of "grab the nearest chocolate bar...."
    A+ reply.

I don’t think I’ve ever been an emotional eater, but I equate “emotional eating” with “eating when sad” (which is probably wrong) and I’m not usually sad. In fact, I don’t typically express many emotions, except happiness/laughter, and even that is limited. I just seem to have some sort of block and I’m usually just pretty even tempered, I don’t get angry, I don’t get sad, I don’t get overly happy.

I knew I loved my girlfriend when I could feel her absence when she was on trips and how it put me in a down-ish mood, as no other girl had before, or when she'd be upset and my inability to comfort her would in turn upset me, awww.

Anyway Lizch is right, cooking is great therapy, and knowing that what you’re making is going to nourish your body feels great. I’m a big fan of cooking now and it always seems to calm me down and improve my mood if it needs fixing.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Intermittent fasting near totally cured me of emotional eating, which I'd previously thought I would never be free of. Worth a shot.

irenesom is offline Senior Member
    Good replies, I really think PB is helping because of the focus on protein. Its just making me feel calmer and less knee jerk to the pull of carbs.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

geostump is offline Senior Member
    My emotional eating consisted of a coke last night. Between stress, a headache and my husband's car being totaled neither one of us did well last night. He went to BK and got a whopper and fries and got me a coke. Maybe that was emotional. Who knows. Still feeling a bit stressed though

anne is offline Member
    I have been dealing with emotional eating and some related bad habits for at least half of my life. Although I was eating very "clean" for the last couple of years, I still had a lot of binge eating attacks and was very unhappy about that. After reading a book about food and carb addiction I decided to reduce my carbohydrate intake. Since I strongly dislike the crappy food that classical low carb allows, giving PB a try was the most natural thing for me to do although it meant having to give up being a vegetarian after 15 years (which is pretty much as long as I was having these problems; coincidence?).

I'm extremely happy with the results so far. Today I had fish, bacon and veggies for lunch and some 99% dark chocolate in the afternoon and although I have consumed only 1000 calories so far (I still count but only to track my vitamin and mineral intake and because it's fun for me) I just don't want to eat right now. Not wanting to eat is a very uncommon felling for me that I usually only experience when I feel sick for some reason. In the morning I had a short incidence where I was falling back into old habits and was panically looking for something to binge on. I found an apple (I usually don't eat sweet fruits now since they sometimes still trigger binge eating and I also should not eat anything with sorbitol), ate it and it was just soooo sweet, tasty and a "forbidden" treat that I was completely satisfied. And that was it. That was my entire damn breakfast and I was not hungry until lunch. If you knew anything about me you would understand why I'm still a little shocked about how well things went.

So to sum it up: I'm for the first time ever confident that I can develop a normal relationship with food. I will probably always be an emotional eater but as long as that means eating a small piece of dark chocolate or a handful of berries (although not being hungry) instead of bingeing for an hour then I will definitely not worry about that anymore.
    Last edited by anne; 01-07-2011 at 10:08 AM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    for me, i go through a mental/questioning/contemplative process.

if i am "hungry" or "craving" something, i begin to beg questions: how does my stomach feel? when was the last time i ate? and then things like "what am i really feeling? can i feel these emotions, be with these emotions and not eat? are there other ways to work through these emotions?"

usually, if i am truly hungry, then i'll go and find something primal to eat. but if i am seeking comfort from emotional distress, then i will be able to acknowledge that and feel the feelings and work through them without eating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast