Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From Chump to Champ - My Primal Story (50+ lbs weight loss) page

Stevo is offline Member

Thumbs up From Chump to Champ - My Primal Story (50+ lbs weight loss)

Shop Now
    Hi guys and gals,

Some of you may have seen my thread on my weightloss here.

But I decided to share my "story" in a new thread... (with it being a new year and all).

So here it goes:

I used to be a relatively fit guy back in High School and College... constantly staying active and spending a lot of time training in Martial Arts (which I've done for most of my life).

Even though I was broke and ate terrible, having the metabolism of young active guy really helped in keeping the fat off my frame.

When I got my first "real" full-time job after college I had started to put on a few pounds... from eating a lot of pizza and ice cream (I admit it, I was totally lacking any and all will power). Plus the change from not eating hardly at all to eating a high calorie "standard American diet" was not terribly flattering to my physique.

Fast forward 10 years and I had ballooned up to 237lbs (yikes)... way above the "ideal weight" for my frame (I'm 6').

And honestly... I was ashamed of myself. I hated looking at myself in the mirror. I never went anywhere where I had to potentially take my shirt off (like the beach or the pool... and mind you, I live in Southern California).

This was the breaking point! And decided to do something about it...

Fast forward another 5 years...

Over those 5 years, my weight had fluctuated wildly. Going 237lbs to 200lbs and back up again and... you get the idea. I admit it, I was non-committal and had a hard time staying on a "healthy" diet (by normal American standards).

3 years ago I picked up a copy of P90X (yep I joined that bandwagon), and had pretty good results going from about 220lbs to 195lbs... gained more muscles and lost some body fat.

It was great, but I got burned out and got injured by over-training... I got discouraged, my weight ballooned back up to 225lbs...

Then came 2010.

I had been relatively active over the years (teaching and training in martial arts), but honestly, I'd given up on getting that "really fit" look. Plus, I wasn't getting any younger (I'm pushing 40).

The thing is, while nobody ever said I was 'out of shape', 'fat' or 'chubby'... my self-image said I was. And I still avoided going to the pool or the beach like the plague.

I honestly didn't think I could ever shed that layer of fat around my body.

And it was seriously messing with my mind.

I was eating "healthy" but unable to shed the weight or the pounds.

Seriously, I've read tons of books on the subject of weight loss and exercise, but I just couldn't put 2 and 2 together.

Then I stumbled upon MarksDailyApple.com and the Primal Blueprint.

It was interesting, and different... and I devoured all the material I could find on Primal living, Paleo and Evolutionary Fitness.

The ideas behind primal completely resonated with me and in May of 2010 (May 3rd to be exact) I decided to finally take the plunge.

I jumped in with both feet and cut out all the crud in my diet! I was proud of myself for being able to do that (considering my diet was pretty heavy on carbs).

And I felt...

TERRIBLE

I got hit by the "carb flu", BIG TIME.

And it lasted for about 2 weeks. I was tired, cranky and just an all around fun guy to be around for 2 weeks. But, I (and my family) endured it and all of a sudden it all cleared.

And I felt AWESOME!

By the way, when I started I was about 225lbs...

And by the end of September (of 2010) I was down to what many have called a "ripped" 175lbs.

And the best thing about all of it was that I didn't exercise myself to death, nor did I worry too much about exactly what I ate from day to day.

Some days I do an intermittent fast, other days I snack all day long.

Because I had a relatively carb centric diet I thought it would be difficult to rid the habit of eating brown rice and bread, but that proved not to be the case.

In any event, here's a "Before and After" photo of myself:

Thanks to Mark (his website, his book and this forum) and to all the other people embracing this lifestyle! I appreciate you all very much.

And if I can have success with this, anyone can...

All the best,
    Steven

eisenreich is offline Member
    Excellent testimonial, Stevo. I feel like I've followed a fairly similar path, in that I was always pretty lean and fit until I hit my mid-twenties. Weight gain is truly is insidious and it took me until a New Year's Eve party two years ago to see a picture of a pale, puffy-faced guy I barely even recognized. That really motivated me to get back into endurance races and I dropped about 20 pounds over the next few months training for marathons and my first half-ironman.

I was feeling good, but only in retrospect (after being primal for a short time), have I noticed the fluctuations in how I felt from carb binging after a hard workout. I plateaued at around 176, unable to lose any more weight. Since starting primal around the beginning of the year (it wasn't a resolution, PB was merely just the next book on my reading list), the phrase "effortless weightloss" genuinely isn't a slogan slapped on a book (currently 171). I'm doing minimal workouts, compared to what I'll experience during training for Ironman later, and I'm still finding it difficult to get enough calories in.

Sorry to hijack your thread, I'll post my own after being on the program a bit longer. Congrats on your success, you look great!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    LOVE how in the first photo, you seem to be only able to look at the tiny image of yourself in the camera, but in the second photo, you're looking at yourself proudly in the mirror. Feeling good about yourself is priceless. Congrats.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    LOVE how in the first photo, you seem to be only able to look at the tiny image of yourself in the camera, but in the second photo, you're looking at yourself proudly in the mirror. Feeling good about yourself is priceless. Congrats.
    Great observation.

My biggest takeaway from this is how seemingly relaxed your approach was. So many of us get caught up in minute daily details that the whole thing seems to drag on forever, and we tweak and mess with things hoping for miracles. This isn’t how things work.

Now that I’ve relaxed a whole lot and just eat within primal boundaries (mostly) I’m noticing improvements in things and also just a general feeling of happiness which comes from not being neurotic about food intake/exercise etc.

Honestly, if we all just stuck to the basics there’s no way to fail:

- eat primal, eat to sustain your activity, if this includes more carbs that’s fine.
    - lift heavy things
    - sprint once in a while
    - move around, walk places, take a bike ride, etc.

Thanks Steve for sharing your story.

Tee
    Tee is online now Senior Member
    Great transformation Steven. You should be proud.
    As someone just starting PL, I'd be interested in reading a typical week of your eating and workout routines.
    Thank you.

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Didn't you get enough compliments on the other thread? JK, you are the poster boy. Awesome.

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    EPIC! Love it!!!!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 222lbs / 25.2%BF | New Goal: 20% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Thats fantastic Steve! I would never have guessed you had that much on you to lose, you've gone from super cute to dead sexy ;D

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Wow!!!!
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Congrats, very inspirational and a story many of us can relate to.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast