Thread: AutoImmune page

Odar is offline Senior Member

AutoImmune

Primal Fuel
    Hi All - Had some blood test done and the results came in as follows:

Thyroid Antibodies:
    Antithyroid peroxidase (TPO)....86 (<61)
    Antithyroglobulin.....................25 (<61)

Cumlative Albumin / Creatinine
    Albumin (mg/l) .. 10
    Creatinine)mmol/l)...9.2
    Alb/Creat (ratio)....1.1
    Reference Range Albumin (<30) Alb/ Creat Ration (<2.8)

Glycated Haemoglobin

Cumulative Thyroid Function Test
    TSH (mU/L) - (0.40 - 4.00)

FT4 (pmol/L)(10-20)

FT3 (pmol/L) (3.5-6.5)

So thanks to PB my blood sugars are good and an A1c for 5.5 is great - but my doc still wont take me off metformin. what concerns ,e is my test for Thyroid antibodies. His only comment to the high level is that I have thyroid disease and although not in the danger zone - will keep a watch out ...wtf???
    I have an ultrasound schedule for next week for my thyroid - had 3 nodules from previous test and they want to see if its change in size

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Are you 100% gluten free? Looks like you have Hashimoto's, and some people have found gluten to cause it or make it worse.
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Hi QuirkyPixy - yes I am gluten free and have been for a number of years. I had hypothyroidism for about 7 years now and now my antibodies are attacking the thyroid ... I think!

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    How are you feeling? Are you on thyroid meds? If so, what are you taking?

Your free T4 is over its range at 120% . This might indicate over activity or too much meds. Your free T3 is at 47% of its range. Many people feel best when their T4 and T3 are in similar places in relation to ranges.

Hi marcadav - I am on thyroxine 50mg and that is the lowest dose. Am not taking anything else (prescribe wise) but I am taking tyrosine powder and SFM for adrenal support. I am a bit tired but am managing to do the daily routine. Consuming the VCO has helped immensely with energy levels but not to the point where I would like it to be.

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Hi Odar. You could try taking selenium; studies have found that it may reduce the thyroid antibody levels. http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/con...ract/87/4/1687

Also, you may have low B12 or ferritin; both of those go hand-in-hand with low thyroid, and can effect energy levels. Just something you might wanna look into if you're not feeling 100%!
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    It's good that you're already gluten-free. That's probably why your antibodies weren't high (but they're high enough!) For anyone with Hashimoto's I highly recommend this book: www.thyroidbook.com

It really helps to understand the underlying immune system dysfunction, because, ultimately, Hashimoto's isn't so much a thyroid disease as it is an autoimmune condition that happens to attack the thyroid. If that's not dealt with, the immune system is likely to attack other tissues down the road (autoimmune diseases like to run in packs). Taking thyroid meds doesn't address the immune system itself.

I've been treated for my own Hashimoto's according to this protocol for a few months now and it's really helped. I'm not on any meds. The only time I've had a flare up was after I had a cold and my immune system seemed to react to the lingering bacteria. I can tell by my fatigue levels and hair loss when it gets better or worse.

If you email the folks at that site, they'll send you a list of practitioners trained in autoimmune balancing protocols and thyroid treatment.

Hi All - thanks so much for all the valued information. hazyjane - thanks for the link... i will look into it but being in Australia - am not sure it would help with practitioners but I have an appt with a very good thyroid doctor ( not endo) in late Feb.

tuscany is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    It's good that you're already gluten-free. That's probably why your antibodies weren't high (but they're high enough!) For anyone with Hashimoto's I highly recommend this book: www.thyroidbook.com

It really helps to understand the underlying immune system dysfunction, because, ultimately, Hashimoto's isn't so much a thyroid disease as it is an autoimmune condition that happens to attack the thyroid. If that's not dealt with, the immune system is likely to attack other tissues down the road (autoimmune diseases like to run in packs). Taking thyroid meds doesn't address the immune system itself.

I've been treated for my own Hashimoto's according to this protocol for a few months now and it's really helped. I'm not on any meds. The only time I've had a flare up was after I had a cold and my immune system seemed to react to the lingering bacteria. I can tell by my fatigue levels and hair loss when it gets better or worse.

If you email the folks at that site, they'll send you a list of practitioners trained in autoimmune balancing protocols and thyroid treatment.
    Hi Hazyjane, I have autoimmune hyperthyroid (Graves). Do you think whatever protocol this book has might help me as well?
    thanks!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscany View Post
    Hi Hazyjane, I have autoimmune hyperthyroid (Graves). Do you think whatever protocol this book has might help me as well?
    thanks!
    It's not specifically for Graves but I do think there is valuable info in that book for any autoimmune issue. I believe some of the practitioners deal with Graves. Some docs believe that Graves is being over diagnosed and that it's actually Hashimoto's for many (esp. if they not only have hyperthyroid symptoms but also hypothyroid symptoms).

If blood tests are taken during a cytokine storm, the tests will come back hyperthyroid, although tests a week later might show hypothyroidism or even normal TSH levels. It can vary drastically! I have a friend who was diagnosed with Graves who also has weight gain, brain fog, puffy face, infertility, etc. I'm positive she was misdiagnosed!

There are ways to manage Graves symptoms with bugleweed and natural lithium, but I would still want to balance the underlying immune reaction and know what the triggers were.