Page 36 of 67 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In? page 36

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Did 2 sets of 3 double leg assisted pullups, and hanging deadweight twice for a couple of seconds. I can feel my shoulders, but it's my hands that need to get stronger!! Still, having my feet off the ground was a great feeling. Might have pulled up by some nano-measurements, too

ETA - I can mostly feel the muscles that run along the tops of my shoulders to my neck - is that where I should be feeling it first?
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Did 2 sets of 3 double leg assisted pullups, and hanging deadweight twice for a couple of seconds. I can feel my shoulders, but it's my hands that need to get stronger!! Still, having my feet off the ground was a great feeling. Might have pulled up by some nano-measurements, too

ETA - I can mostly feel the muscles that run along the tops of my shoulders to my neck - is that where I should be feeling it first?
    I had this little gadget from when I did phsyical therapy after breaking a couple of fingers a few years ago. Most sports equipment shops carry them. I find it really helps work on grip strength. The spring can be set to the three different nubs there for progressive resistance.

Photo on 2011-03-0.jpg

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Hey all, sorry I haven't been able to record a video of my gf working pull ups. I surprised her with a bar adn some other workout equipment (push up handles, ab wheel roll out, pull up assistance band, elbow straps to use in ab work or hanging leg raises) and she's stoked and working at her pull ups in the comfort of her own home now while before she always had to do it here. The assistance band is really helping her, she can do positive reps with it now, she's working in sets of 3 and definitely getting stronger. She's working push ups along with pull ups and having a lot of fun with it in general which is awesome.

Paleobird: Since you can do more, DO more, but taper off after. Constant practice is key.

This is a video I recorded on 2/24/11 but I didn't post it because I decided it was probably best to have my gf demo the exercises I wanted to show but since we weren't able to I figure I'll just post this one now then whenever I can do something with her we'll show that here. I hope the video helps.

Edit: Notice the 3:00 mark how I change where my feet are positioned, that makes a difference in the leverage and weight distribution but also makes the movement more closely resemble an actual pull up. The other position was more of an Australian pull up.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 03-05-2011 at 11:08 PM.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Iniquity, thanks so much for that video! I had a total "Aha, I could do that!" moment. My kids have a swing set with rings, add a garden chair and voila! I'll let you know how I go.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I now have a pullup bar installed.

And I think I can do that modified one. Maybe.

Will be tried this afternoon.

I need to go back through the thread for all the links to the videos.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Iniquity, thanks so much for that video! I had a total "Aha, I could do that!" moment. My kids have a swing set with rings, add a garden chair and voila! I'll let you know how I go.
    No prob. Yeah it's all about thinking outside the box a little bit sometimes, I think the bed sheet idea can come in handy for people that don't have a ring or any suspension training set up. I was just looking for something that was longer than a towel and that worked great and is (or should be, unless you really ran wild with the caveman thing) easily found in any household.

Definitely let me know how it goes!

DagnyT is offline Junior Member
    Time to brag!

I'm a CrossFitter, so I do my pullup work at the gym. We have resistance bands for those who don't have unassisted pullups yet. When I started CF in December, I had to use 2 bands -- a green + a red. It didn't take too long for me to get down to one green band.

Yesterday we did this warmup (2 rounds): 10 air squats, 10 pushups, 10 box jumps, 10 pullups, 10 situps,
    followed by this WOD ("Daniel"): 50 pullups, 400m run, 21 thrusters (96/65), 800m run, 21 thrusters, 400m run, 50 pullups.
    That's a total of 120 pullups, and I did every single one with full extension (straight arms at the bottom to chin over the bar at the top) with one green band.

I think it's time to go down to a lighter band! Woo-hoo!!
    I am Cavewoman, hear me GRUNT!
    http://horndivaxtal.blogspot.com/

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DagnyT View Post
    Time to brag!

I'm a CrossFitter, so I do my pullup work at the gym. We have resistance bands for those who don't have unassisted pullups yet. When I started CF in December, I had to use 2 bands -- a green + a red. It didn't take too long for me to get down to one green band.

Yesterday we did this warmup (2 rounds): 10 air squats, 10 pushups, 10 box jumps, 10 pullups, 10 situps,
    followed by this WOD ("Daniel"): 50 pullups, 400m run, 21 thrusters (96/65), 800m run, 21 thrusters, 400m run, 50 pullups.
    That's a total of 120 pullups, and I did every single one with full extension (straight arms at the bottom to chin over the bar at the top) with one green band.

I think it's time to go down to a lighter band! Woo-hoo!!
    Well done, Dagny! Grunt back acha!

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    IniQuity, thanks for a great video—not “beyond crappy” at all! It's extremely helpful to me.

I have a question for you regarding progression. Using the front pegs (AKA penis grip, LOL), I can hold in the beginning position for a few seconds, then do a slow, controlled negative from there. Yesterday I tried to do the same thing with my hands in a normal, wide pullup grip, and even with just one foot barely on the chair, I couldn't maintain the initial position for any time. Is there something specific I should be doing in order to achieve that goal?

Again, thanks very much for your help and encouragement.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Another thank you to iniQuity!!!

I am so excited because I thought I was getting woody bands and sadly I cannot afford them till the summer when my job starts.

The bed sheet... I can TOTALLY do that!!!

Sigh... in 2 more weeks...

I'm lurking, cheering you ladies on though!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 36 of 67 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast