Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In? page 32

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by inquisitiveone View Post
    Iniquity, I have a question for you (and for anyone else who'd like to chime in): I do martial arts, and told my sensei about my pullup goal the other day. She said she doesn't normally recommend isolated muscle exercise, but for me she thought doing bicep curls—slowly and with a decent amount of weight—would help me gain strength. What do you think? Is that worth adding to my regimen (which right now is negatives, which are still too fast; and two-leg assisted positives)?
    I'm not against it but pull ups are not just about bicep strength so I think continuing as you are is just fine as all the necessary muscles will get worked simultaneously. However I see no evil with adding some isolation work but do not believe it will make a dramatic difference if your other muscles are still lacking the strength.

What you and anyone else can do is finish with the easiest version of the pull up you can think of and work it for higher reps (10-15 reps) because the direct route is best but making the movement easier can help tremendously. It can look like this:
    - negatives for 5 reps
    - single leg assisted pull ups or chin ups for 5-10 reps
    - double leg assisted pu or cu for 15 reps.

That can be split into sets of two or three so two sets of 5 negatives then the others. Also everybody should consider making some type of suspension training apparatus. I just bought a pair of gymnastic rings but before that I just used a length of rope which cost under $10 at home depot and you can put a pipe thru it. Hang it from your bar. This will allow you to elevate your feet on a chair and practice pull ups that way... video in a few hours! I love making videos for this thread.

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Thank you so much! I've always been pretty good in the biceps area, so I was a little skeptical about working them more than the other muscles involved—my lats feel like they need more work than anything else at this point.

Your suggested sets are also really helpful to me. I've just been doing stuff, with no real plan to it. Does it make any difference, doing only pullup work, or should I toss in some chinup work as well?

Looking forward to your next video—those are also very helpful and inspiring to me. I really appreciate your contributions to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitiveone View Post
    Thank you so much! I've always been pretty good in the biceps area, so I was a little skeptical about working them more than the other muscles involved—my lats feel like they need more work than anything else at this point.

Your suggested sets are also really helpful to me. I've just been doing stuff, with no real plan to it. Does it make any difference, doing only pullup work, or should I toss in some chinup work as well?

Looking forward to your next video—those are also very helpful and inspiring to me. I really appreciate your contributions to this thread.
    Aw you guys make me feel warm inside and since we’re being chummy I have to say I do the videos not as a way to show off but because I want to see you all eventually do this, post it (if you can) and feel proud for yourselves like I did, and like I can tell my gf will be when she gets hers. It’s a very empowering feeling so I’m more than happy to help.

I will always and forever recommend switching grips when working at this skill, so yes, you should absolutely do some chin up work as well. If your bar has the neutral grip (the pegs that stick out) you should work those as well.

Chin ups do present some benefits:

- more bicep and forearm recruitment which will result in more bicep strength and growth (depending on your physiology, some people just don’t develop big biceps)
    - they are safer on your joints, especially your elbow joints since some people can put their hands out a bit too wide when doing pull ups, the chin up is more “natural” of a movement so your body knows just how far wide you can safely put your arms out, also, there’s less chance of bowing out your elbows in a chin up.
    - some say they hit the lats more, however the same can be said for pull ups, I don’t think one works the lats that much more than the other.

Also, I hope you guys aren’t neglecting push ups in your routine! Once you’re all getting stronger and more conditioned it would be a good idea to do a set of pull ups followed by a set of push ups (you can rest in between sets, unless you’re trying to superset in which case more power to you!) push ups are a great, great, great exercise that doesn’t get enough love sometimes.

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I will do some chinup and neutral grip reps today. And I do get my pushups in! Usually we do 30 in warmups at the dojo (regular pushups); I've been supplementing that at home with knuckle pushups, but on my knees so I can go deeper. Since doing the latter, I've noticed an increase in strength ... once I can do 20 I'll see if I can convert to regular pushup posture.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AnarchoGrok View Post
    I am in...

I have never been able to do a pull up and this is the year will be the year.
    That's the spirit! Welcome, #59

So the video is going to have to wait a bit, I shot two but without help (or a tripod) it's pretty hard for me to get the right angle to show what I want to show. I'm hoping to get my gf involved in making the videos but I'm not sure if she'd want to be on youtube even though I've made all these videos "unlisted" so they can't be found through a search. I think it would help the women more to see another girl do the progressions, especially one such as my gf who is still working towards that first pull up. I just realized it may be unfair that I do the movements since I'm pretty comfortable doing full pull ups. If she doesn't want to though maybe she can hold the camera as I do the yapping.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I'm hoping to get my gf involved in making the videos but I'm not sure if she'd want to be on youtube even though I've made all these videos "unlisted" so they can't be found through a search. I think it would help the women more to see another girl do the progressions, especially one such as my gf who is still working towards that first pull up.
    Tell her we would all really appreciate it if she did star in your video but totally understand if she didn't.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Tomorrow morning I am going back up to the park and plan on hanging around on the pull-up bar there. How long do any of you just hang there? My birthday present to myself next weekend is a pull-up bar and I am officially buying a copy of The Primal Blueprint! BTW, it will be either raining or snowing outside so I will be roughing it!
    Georgette

katydid317 is offline Senior Member
    I feel like I'm starting from scratch again. I did 3 two leg assisted pullups this morning and 3 negatives just now. And I am such. a. wimp. Argh.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Tomorrow morning I am going back up to the park and plan on hanging around on the pull-up bar there. How long do any of you just hang there? My birthday present to myself next weekend is a pull-up bar and I am officially buying a copy of The Primal Blueprint! BTW, it will be either raining or snowing outside so I will be roughing it!
    Hang on as long as you can. Then a little longer the next day. BTW, have you downloaded the Primal Blueprint Fitness ebook yet? It is free and has lots of good tips for working up to pull ups.

Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast