Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In? page 3

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well, women's abdominals are built so differently then mens, which is what makes this such a challenge. This is why they are no longer a requirement for basic training.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Paleobird Guest
    WOW 84 people so far! (I was hoping for a dozen maybe.) WOOT

Paleobird
    Roberta
    Ellie G
    lil_earthmomma
    jacsuza
    theholla
    naiadnight
    miss fluffypants
    winencandy
    Jen AlcesAlces
    Girl Scout
    Sigi
    Dender
    spughy
    MJinLV
    melodious
    splunky
    Nik
    nomorefatandfrumpy
    SarahByDesign
    Jenny
    abqgirl
    Saoirse
    el_barto
    katydid317
    redhead
    DagnyT
    Minxxa
    Pebles67
    NourishedEm
    profdjj
    Noctiluca
    Herbwifemama
    isaboblue
    Elwyne
    frances
    angorarabbit
    otamstad
    beastman
    Meg-a-Tron
    jrherring
    Aila
    labbygail
    kandc88
    runningwild
    Millie Ivy
    Eklecktika
    Mandolin
    TigerLily
    geostump
    Hil
    inquisitiveon
    Twibble
    slacker
    Primalvore
    DanC
    bix
    Dagny
    AnarchGrok
    Jac
    HeyChelle
    runnergal
    CKATTO71
    fauxbourdon3
    Carolyn (Iniquity's GF)
    lolov
    WinkBlu
    RobyRey
    OperaDivaMom
    Kaylee99
    a_phoenix
    Esperance
    Ciavyn
    Mirrorball
    quelsen
    primaLeaf
    Linsey
    prib81
    Dragonfly
    Sarah 1990
    Harp32Wil
    TobelikeGroketta
    Bananabonobo
    LizardGurl
    Last edited by Paleobird; 11-01-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: still more recruits

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    Well, women's abdominals are built so differently then mens, which is what makes this such a challenge. This is why they are no longer a requirement for basic training.
    Yeah, our whole center of gravity is lower. I didn't know that they were no longer required in basic training. I guess it would cut out too many potential recruits if they insisted on it.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    I'm in too! I don't have a pull up bar, but somehow my boyfriend does pull-ups on the bathroom door. So I'll use that and the neighborhood playground.

girl scout is offline Senior Member
    I'm in !
    Hubby bought me a pull-up bar for christmas, so no excuses...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by girl scout View Post
    I'm in !
    Hubby bought me a pull-up bar for christmas, so no excuses...
    That guy is a keeper!

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    I'm in too!

Now just have to get myself a pull-up bar to install at home. Thought about practising on monkey-bars in the local playground, but (a) there are almost always some kids there, and (b) I can live without the curious looks and pointing and "Mummy, what's that funny lady doing over there?".....

Has anybody tried using one of these kinds of bars, and are they really secure?
    http://www.taller.com.au/gym-equipme...ble-chinup-bar
    http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Chin-Up-Bar.../dp/B000TZPN2G

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    See if you ladies can find any OLD resources/books on women and pull-ups. I was just reading through a book on fitness written in the 1940s and the coolest thing about it was every time they showed pictures of males or females they always described something physical they could do, meaning it wasn't just a picture of a fit female for rocks-off sake, but it would say "(girl's name) could do 15 chins, etc" I'll try to find it, it didn't detail how they got there, and you can tell they weren't sticks.

If you put in the time, the pull-ups will come. My gf who has not at all been consistent can hold herself at the " L " and is progressing that way. Work your negatives, work them hard! trying to get positive reps will be much easier once you can do SLOW negatives.

Negative: Jump up to the bar, hold with your chin over the bar, try to lower yourself as slowly and controlled as possible. You will go from wobbly mess to controlled negative in a few weeks time. Eventually do it for reps and start stopping yourself at various points of the negative. Once you're strong at that, stop halfway through the rep and try to pull yourself up. Consider working on chin ups first (palms facing you) as they'll build your biceps along with your back more directly than pull ups will, but practice both daily! daily practice is key. Good luck to you all, I'll be watching...

This video explains that pretty well:

Take aways:

- practice daily, and several times a day if you're "fresh" (no muscle fatigue)
    - don't work to failure, though I'd argue that the assisted ones she did at the end sort of qualify as pushing failure, but that's really not too big a deal. Once in a while really "punish" the muscle, but most of the time keep it fresh.

Edit: Males have the advantage of testosterone, we will achieve pull ups faster than females. I think it's best to keep this female-only so that it's a level playing field. Us males can make our own challenge, but I can do quite a few already so I can't play
    Last edited by iniQuity; 01-07-2011 at 04:58 AM.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I definitely recommend checking out Al Kavadlo's inspirational and informative pullup videos over on his site!
    I can't do a single full one yet but can do several Australian pullups in a variety of forms.
    My personal goal for...some time in 2011...is to be able to do 6 full, good form pullups or kips or neutrals or whatever.
    No need to include me on the list - I like iniQuity's idea of having a separate one for guys.
    Good luck ladies!!
    Last edited by carlh; 01-07-2011 at 05:56 AM.

Dender is offline Junior Member
    I'm in as well.

I'm still doing pull-ups with two legs assisting but have noticed how much the strength in my arms has increased over the past 10 days. Definite progress and I know that I will keep pushing it

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast