Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In? page 24

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just checking in:

Chin ups: I top out at three.

Bonafide Pullups: I can do one-but can only get up as high as my nose over the bar. That's with hands set slightly wider than my shoulders (iow thumbs are slightly outside my delts). Getting higher every day.

Is that where they're supposed to be?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    For those who can do chin-ups but not pull-ups, maybe you could use an alternating grip as an intermediate step -- one overhand grip, one underhand grip. Start with your dominant arm underhand and then swap.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    For those who can do chin-ups but not pull-ups, maybe you could use an alternating grip as an intermediate step -- one overhand grip, one underhand grip. Start with your dominant arm underhand and then swap.
    This!

Also, chin ups are easier because your wrist and hand placement prompts for more bicep recruitment when doing the movement. However, that doesn’t mean a pull up is superior, it just uses slightly different muscles, and slightly less bicep, more forearm, little things really.

Paleobird has a great idea of using resistance bands backwards, I’m going to have my gf try that, she’s got decent negatives but I think that can really help to develop the muscles. I think if you place the bands over the bar like I used the towel in the video I posted in this thread you could maybe kneel down and pull the bands down. You could probably also put a broom stick or something through the handles so that it more closely resembles a bar (so that it’s more of an even movement, as we all tend to be stronger in our dominant side)

I can shoot another video of that, if it would help? What say you ladies of MDA? Maybe a “how to get your first pull up” video is in order…

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    This!

Also, chin ups are easier because your wrist and hand placement prompts for more bicep recruitment when doing the movement. However, that doesn’t mean a pull up is superior, it just uses slightly different muscles, and slightly less bicep, more forearm, little things really.

Paleobird has a great idea of using resistance bands backwards, I’m going to have my gf try that, she’s got decent negatives but I think that can really help to develop the muscles. I think if you place the bands over the bar like I used the towel in the video I posted in this thread you could maybe kneel down and pull the bands down. You could probably also put a broom stick or something through the handles so that it more closely resembles a bar (so that it’s more of an even movement, as we all tend to be stronger in our dominant side)

I can shoot another video of that, if it would help? What say you ladies of MDA? Maybe a “how to get your first pull up” video is in order…
    Yes please iniQuity!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I don't even know the difference between a pull-up and a chin-up, so yes, video would probably help.

I should go you-tubing later on.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    I don't even know the difference between a pull-up and a chin-up, so yes, video would probably help.

I should go you-tubing later on.

Check out PBF fitness e-book. There's a video link of a pull-up in there.

I'm pretty sure I will be in for the challenge. I will find out for certain tomorrow.
    Georgette

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    This!

That would be awesome iniQuity.

Paleobird Guest

I used a piece of PVC pipe but a sturdy broomstick would work too. Your videos are always appreciated.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    iniQuity is our Jedi pullup master. I've seen his vids before, looking forward to instructionifications!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I'm arriving late to the party, but count me in!

I will practice in my jammie pants .... like iniQuity.

I'm nursing a shoulder injury that even reaching into a cupboard exacerbates, so it'll be a while before I can really focus on this. Fortunately, I've got until 12/31/11.

I can do Australian pull-ups, but not the more standard type.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast