Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In? page 20

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Ah, thank you Allbeef (or do you prefer Patty? ) - interesting to know.

What I'm really presently coveting is this: http://trapezerigging.com/PortablePullupBar/#buyit

I've read/heard many positive reviews of the product, and it looks to me exactly like what Mark uses in his Primal Blueprint Fitness video demonstrations. The portability/ease of assembly and disassembly would be awesome, but the expense is too great at the moment (especially as I would have to have it shipped internationally). So I am restraining my usual impulses and just fondly wishing at the moment ...

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    You can cal me whatever you'd like to.

I'd love to get one of those, or at least try to make one with fence posts.

runningwild is offline Senior Member
    my pull up bar arrived yesterday - will pick it up from the post office later and have a go - wish me luck!

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Woohoo - good luck runningwild! Remember - don't overdo it on your first go. (Trust me on this... )

runningwild is offline Senior Member
    i watched marks explanation video on youtube. Trust me i will be starting small!

Paleobird Guest
    I just finished off an LHT workout and have a serious case of jello arms. I have figured out that I need to make the pull ups the first thing I do out of the five moves instead of putting them off until my arms are all tired from the other things.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of those Woody bands. It's a matter of playing around with them until you find the one that is the right strength for your height and weight. Enough stretch to give you a boost but not enough to be a cheat. I've found that the strongest of the bands won't let me get to my full arm extension which is a nice boost up but is kind of a cheat if I want to work up to "real" pull ups. So today I switched to the second size band, the one that's about 2 1/2 inches wide and that works perfectly. I did 20 each of pull ups and chin ups but it wasn't all 20 in a row. It was more like 5 rest, 5 more, etc. and on the last ones I wasn't quite making it to the top. I will stay at this band width until I can really bang out two sets of 20 all the way over the bar.

It felt like using the bands is getting the abs involved more than doing the chair assisted ones. Something about the free hanging. Any thoughts on that?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I just finished off an LHT workout and have a serious case of jello arms. I have figured out that I need to make the pull ups the first thing I do out of the five moves instead of putting them off until my arms are all tired from the other things.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of those Woody bands. It's a matter of playing around with them until you find the one that is the right strength for your height and weight. Enough stretch to give you a boost but not enough to be a cheat. I've found that the strongest of the bands won't let me get to my full arm extension which is a nice boost up but is kind of a cheat if I want to work up to "real" pull ups. So today I switched to the second size band, the one that's about 2 1/2 inches wide and that works perfectly. I did 20 each of pull ups and chin ups but it wasn't all 20 in a row. It was more like 5 rest, 5 more, etc. and on the last ones I wasn't quite making it to the top. I will stay at this band width until I can really bang out two sets of 20 all the way over the bar.

It felt like using the bands is getting the abs involved more than doing the chair assisted ones. Something about the free hanging. Any thoughts on that?
    I agree, the bands make your abs work much harder.

Also, I've found really tucking my tailbone helps. I don't know why...
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Ladies, I made a video about using a door frame pull up bar for a different thread but maybe it can be of help here. I don't go over how to train for a pull up, but once you get your first, you should start playing with different grips and hand positions and that's something I go over in the video. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJbJ8...ayer_embedded#

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Ladies, I made a video about using a door frame pull up bar for a different thread but maybe it can be of help here. I don't go over how to train for a pull up, but once you get your first, you should start playing with different grips and hand positions and that's something I go over in the video. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJbJ8...ayer_embedded#
    Thank you, iniQuity. That was very thoughtful of you. The variety of grips was interesting. Probably good to change it up while training to get all around grip strength.

You have lovely triceps BTW.

Robin

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    I agree, the bands make your abs work much harder.

Also, I've found really tucking my tailbone helps. I don't know why...
    Yeah. It almost becomes kind of a serpentine motion.

Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast