Page 18 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In? page 18

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Em:

yes, and start with hanging shrugs (that is, hang from the bar and pull your shoulders down your back, then slowly lower yourself down, then pull the shoulders down the back again, etc) and negatives (use a chair, bench, or step ladder to get up). you'll get there soon, honest!
    Thanks Zoebird, I did a few dozen of those shrugs throughout the day yesterday and my shoulders are sore as hell today so it's obviously doing something!

Negatives are just a very fast drop atm, but I'll keep working at it.

SarahByDesign is offline Junior Member
    Graduated from the jumping pullups today....well kind of....after our CrackFit (I mean CrossFit) WOD I did 5 band assisted pullups. Slowly but surely I will get there
    ~DFTBA~

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahbydesign View Post
    graduated from the jumping pullups today....well kind of....after our crackfit (i mean crossfit) wod i did 5 band assisted pullups. Slowly but surely i will get there
    right on!!!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    The pull up bar I purchased had incorrectly drilled holes. I had planned to take it back yesterday, and get a new box. But then I sliced my thumb open. So no pull ups for me for at least a few weeks, as I cannot put pressure on the wound.

But I'm still in the challenge. I just may trail the rest of you for a while.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

labbygail is offline Senior Member
    I'm late to the game, but I want to join too! I can pull myself halfway up. In the fall, I would practice at the park on the jungle gym, but now I'm going to buy a pull-up bar. No excuses!

labbygail is offline Senior Member
    Do chin-ups count, or does it have to be an overhand pull-up? I can chin myself halfway up, but I can barely move with the overhand grip.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'm still here, things just got hectic. Now that things have calmed down some, I can gt back to the pull-up stuff. Will do shrugs/ attempts tonight during my bodyweight dice.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by labbygail View Post
    Do chin-ups count, or does it have to be an overhand pull-up? I can chin myself halfway up, but I can barely move with the overhand grip.
    Chin ups are, so I'm told, a great way to "warm up" to doing pull-ups but, no, chin ups don't count for the Challenge. If you can do half an chin-up already, you probably will do great taking on the overhand grip. You already have a fair amount of arm, shoulder and grip strength.

Welcome to the team! You are #43

kandc88 is offline Member
    Me too! Me too! sign me up #44!

I have been fairly primal for the past 6 months, for the 6 months prior I did P90X and Chalean Extreme, then hurt my back and haven't done a thing for 6 months! I couldn't do a pull-up then and still can't

This challenge has provided the impetus for me to get off my bum and finally see where I tested into the five essential exercises in the e-book. As far as pull-ups, I can jump up to my bar and continue to pull myself up a couple times (chin up) I have no idea how get moving from a dead hang. If anyone has any pointers for me, please point the way. Was really sore after exercising after so much time off, but am almost ready to give it another go. I read the suggestion of shrugging with interest and tried a couple tonight but I don't think I'm doing it right as I don't seem to be feeling it in my back?

Kim

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by labbygail View Post
    Wow, I'm still working on my chin up. I figure conquer the chin up and the pull up won't be far behind.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 18 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast