Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In? page 14

otamstad is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great Challenge Robin!
    I am 100% in! ...that's something I have always wanted to do besides a good amount of push-ups and the handstand. :-)
    Right now I am at 0 as well....and honestly can't imagine doing one anytime soon...but hard work will pay off, so I am looking forward to working on it with all you guys!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    surgical tubing, which you can find at stores that cater to those who get in home care, is an inexpensive alternative to resistance bands. some gym-equipment stores will sell both, as well, and it's usually a bit more expensive there than the home-care stores.

the main thing is to get the full range of motion too, and think about it from the elbows. DH and i were talking about this. the elbows make an arc, and if you think about drawing the elbow from eye level (extended arms) to nearly behind you or touching the sides of your rib cage.

and here's another training tip: shrug first. that is, draw the shoulders down and together while just hanging. even if you do just that small movement a number of times, it will help get that first part of the movement into place.

also, for kicks, i did a lot of negatives today, and i think this will really help out. 1. start at the top and hold as long as you can at the top. breathe, and see how long you can hold it. do several of these. 2. start at the top and lower half way. hold this as long as you can. breathe. do several of these. 3. start at the top and lower to mid-point, then *try* to draw your elbows back to your rib cage (a half chin up). do as many of these as you can. don't forget to breathe. 4. start at the top, lower to the midpoint and hold, then lower to the bottom point and hold. then try to come back to the mid point --just focus on bending your elbows and bringing them in line with your shoulders. lower and come back to the mid-point. do this as many times as you can.

to be honest. 3 and 4 are tough. particularly if you are doing them slowly. but doing them starts to make that "groove" as well.

it's just something to toss into the mix.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    Good and sore today! Glad I'm not the only one! Way to go Sigi!
    Ha - glad I'm not the only one too! Not that I mind a bit of post-workout muscle screaming - at least it lets you know what you're doing is having an effect. (Even if putting on a bra in the morning does become something of a Herculean effort! )

Dender is offline Junior Member
    I'm just in from the gym, having managed 2 circuits of 3x10 reps on the 2 leg-assists (plus a load of other stuff). Oh. My. God. My arms and legs were shaking so much by the end of that, but it definitely pushed the comfort zone and then some. A very satisfying session, now that it's over and I can sit on my sofa with a glass of red wine. I was completely unable to wash my hair because I can't lift my arms up.

jacsuza is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    and here's another training tip: shrug first. that is, draw the shoulders down and together while just hanging. even if you do just that small movement a number of times, it will help get that first part of the movement into place.
    So just hanging off the bar can be a place to start? I was at the park yesterday, did some "Australians" and other upper body type exercises on the parcourse, but could not do a single negative -- can't even really hold it at the top. I do remember that when DD1 was about 4, she used to just hang off the playground equipment. Eventually she progressed to doing the monkey bars really well and was able to do pull-ups at one point (she's out of practice right now.) Maybe I need to start with just hanging off the bar as well.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Hanging there is a great grip exercise, which is one of the first things you need - grip strength. Imagine yourself in an action movie hanging from the landing gear of a helicopter. First, you need to be able to hang on. Next you'll need to be able to pull your chin up over the landing gear, and eventually throw an arm over it. Eventually you'll be able to climb into the chopper, punch out the pilot, fly down and save the guy / girl of your dreams from king kong. Or, something.
    "Training for the unknowable" - James Bond movie scenes and zombie attacks, mainly. That's where my motivation comes from.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by angorarabbit View Post
    Is it too late for me to join? I'd love to get involved in this. I'm not entirely sure I've ever done a pull up! I won't be able to use a bar in the house but I have a tree in my front yard! :-)
    A tree works just fine. The original primal pull up bar. I put you on the list.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    it's true. working the grip strength, and then just doing the "hanging reverse shrug" will get you a long way in building functional strength. while you are hanging there, engage every muscle in your body that you can feel. it's a great start!

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Hanging there is a great grip exercise, which is one of the first things you need - grip strength. Imagine yourself in an action movie hanging from the landing gear of a helicopter. First, you need to be able to hang on. Next you'll need to be able to pull your chin up over the landing gear, and eventually throw an arm over it. Eventually you'll be able to climb into the chopper, punch out the pilot, fly down and save the guy / girl of your dreams from king kong. Or, something.
    "Training for the unknowable" - James Bond movie scenes and zombie attacks, mainly. That's where my motivation comes from.
    I love this and am totally going to use it. I've always had a secret desire to be a kick-arse-movie-star-heroine type

jacsuza is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Eventually you'll be able to climb into the chopper, punch out the pilot, fly down and save the guy / girl of your dreams from king kong. Or, something.
    I like this visualization! Will try it on the weekend when I hit up the park again.

Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast