Thread: Push/Pull ratio? page

Wyatt is offline Junior Member

What do you think would be a good push pull ration for an ideal primal type? I'm talking something like pull ups vs pushups/barbel bench/or dumbell bench. Fpr example, I weigh 180 pounds. I can do 10 pull ups and I can Barbel Bench 180. Is that a decent ratio or is one or the other lagging? What is your push/pull ratio?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Do you feel healthy? Do you like how you look in the mirror?

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

I feel healthy but my chest and triceps don't look proportioned to my back and biceps. Since I've focussed on functional strength and cut out isolation exercises I've lost what looks like muscle mass in my triceps yet I've increased my overall strength. There's definitely a fork in the road I am facing. Should I spend the extra time in the gym with more meticulous workouts, which may not exactly be primal? Or should I stick with functional strength and let the rest work itself out? Perhaps an "arms" day now and then could be a liberal interpretation of play, no?

rmoore Guest

Wyatt,

I have rarely seen someone with shoulder problems from having stronger pulling muscles. You seem to be a little stronger on the pulling side of things...I'm the same way.

Are you a taller guy with long arms? This is often the case with guys built like that.

Rusty

PapaG44 is offline Junior Member

I've been doing dips for the past week and I can definitely tell a difference already. IMO it's a better chest/tris exercise than bench press. If you lower yourself slowly you'll get your biceps too. You can really tighten your abs too.

Maybe you should mix it up and hit the gym. You'll get to see all the meatheads who are all biceps and could be blown over by a brisk wind.

Rusty-

you've definitely got something. I am 6' 2" and frankly, I would much rather climb trees than press a rock (or something of the sort). I did not say anything about shoulder problems though.

Papa: I've been doing dips with some homemade straps and rings, which I hear is the best and definitely hardest way to do them.

I appreciate the advice. I am still curious to know your guys' push/pull ratio is. do you feel stronger at one than the other?

Vick is offline Senior Member

My bench this week was 295. My bent over row (about the closest I do to a pull) was 295.

I'm 5-8 down to 221 lbs with about 50 lbs more to lose. (53 years and getting younger by the day.)

Vick is offline Senior Member

If you are gaining strentgh then you are growing muscle. Acording to the Greeks, your bicep flexed, should be the same circumference as your neck and calve. Loss of inches could also relate to some fatty tissue disappearing or some water mass missing.