Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goat dairy products - are they better on Primal? page

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia

Goat dairy products - are they better on Primal?

Primal Fuel
    Would goat cheeses be 'more' primal, given that they usually come from small producers and goats are usually grass fed and given few chemical by way of medication (at least here in Oz).
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

billman89 is offline Member
    No. But Goat dairy is tolerated by some better than cows.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Well, I figure that grass fed goat dairy is about as primal as grass fed cow dairy? But, if the goats are all grass fed, and the cows aren't, go goat! I also tend to suspect that many goat breeds are less "domesticated" than cow breeds, since they've never been industrially produced the same way.

One advantage that goat dairy may have is that it is never homogenized, since the fat stays in solution (though to be fair, I haven't read enough to be certain that homogenized dairy is as evil as some people claim)

I'm a big fan of goat cheese, but I just don't really like making yogurt out of goat milk - it is a bit too pungent! So, I enjoy dairy from both species
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf from the Paleo Solution says yes, goat is better, esp. if you've got inflammation or metabolic issues. There is science behind why, but being a Zen Grok, I'll have to let a Science Grok explain it. But, yeah, any animal eating grass rather than grain is going to be superior.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Goat dairy tends to be better because of the casein structure (casein is the protein that people with dairy sensitivities react to). Goat dairy (as well as sheep and certain breeds of cows) contains primarily A2 beta casein. Most dairy cows produce A1 beta casein (esp. Holsteins), which tends to be way more problematic.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    It is good to know, I've never been good with milk and I think I'll get some goat cheese to try.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I'm not doing any dairy at the moment (I'm on Whole30 for Jan.) but when I do add it back in, I'm going to stick to grass-fed butter and a little grass-fed cream (I can get yummy local!) since butter and cream don't contain much casein- they're almost all fat, and if I do have any cheese or yogurt, it'll be goat or sheep's milk.
    I've bought raw goat's milk and I have to say I felt noticeably good when I drank it (I'm SO not a milk drinker!), so there does seem to be a real difference between different dairy products.

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    Plus goat milk has the advantage of being really similar to human milk! I love my goat cream/butter/cheese.
    Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
    Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
    Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
    Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Not exactly a primal issue perhaps, but I'm beginning to think my skin reacts to cow dairy and not goat dairy. I was all-dairy-free since early Nov, which really cleared my skin up. Introduced goat cheese mid December. Everything still OK. In the past week, I've re-introduced pastured, organic butter....and my skin is flaring up. Totally bummed about that.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast